1990 Mitsubishi Mightymax

A friend is giving me a 90 MightyMax.. The bolt that holds the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft pulley is broken off (I'm assuming inside the c-shaft) I have the broken bolt, and the pulley. I'm finding this bolt hard to find/look at on the web. Do I have to buy the whole pulley/bolt etc? I'm assuming I'd have to go to the j/yard. It's a 5spd. 4x4. How difficult is this to find/repair...(assuming there is no other damage to truck?) You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com if you wish...

Reply to
Rain

What engine do you have in it?

If you can get a drill in the area, you should be able to easy-out the remaining piece.

balancer to the crankshaft pulley is broken off (I'm assuming inside the c-shaft) I have the broken bolt, and the pulley. I'm finding this bolt hard to find/look at on the web. Do I have to buy the whole pulley/bolt etc? I'm assuming I'd have to go to the j/yard. It's a 5spd. 4x4. How difficult is this to find/repair...(assuming there is no other damage to truck?)

Reply to
Richie Rich

Thanks Rich, but I'm wondering..If I buy the piece, would/could I buy that bold seperately.. Or get a whole kit? (Pulley/bolt/washer).. The pulley I have seems to be in good condition, but I wonder if I have to buy it all?

Reply to
Rain

Oh.. sorry, I'm not quite sure the engine size yet? I should know tomorrow. (Truck not yet on site)

Reply to
Rain

The reason I ask, is that I have a spare crank bolt for a 2.6L 4cyl. You could have it for a couple bucks plus shipping.

You should be able to just buy the bolt from the dealer or go to a salvage yard.

You are most likely missing the washer too unless someone broke the bolt installing it or was lucky enough to find it.

Hope this helps,

bold seperately.. Or get a whole kit? (Pulley/bolt/washer).. The pulley I have seems to be in good condition, but I wonder if I have to buy it all?

Reply to
Richie Rich

balancer to the crankshaft pulley is broken off (I'm assuming inside the c-shaft) I have the broken bolt, and the pulley. I'm finding this bolt hard to find/look at on the web. Do I have to buy the whole pulley/bolt etc? I'm assuming I'd have to go to the j/yard. It's a 5spd. 4x4. How difficult is this to find/repair...(assuming there is no other damage to truck?)

If you have a 3.0l V6 engine - then this is a well documented problem. Mitsubishi re-designed the crank shaft bolt. Be sure to order a new one from a dealer.

Take your time with a drill and easy out. You will probably have to pull the radiator and maybe the AC condenser. Be sure to drill the exact center of the old bolt. If you have doubts about doing the job yourself, find a good machine shop. Have the truck towed to them. It's better in my book to pay a professional to have a done right. If you mess up the crank you will be SOL.

Check out

one of the best Mitsubishi forums available.

Reply to
MG