1990 Montero Suddenly Quit Running

I was driving along at about 65mph when the engine suddenly quit, just like turning off the ignition. No clunks, clangs, clacks, no nothing. After I came to a comlete stop, the engine would turn over, but it acted like the ignition was not working at all. I did attempt to restart it while it was still moving originally, and even pumped the gas pedal several times as a last resort as I was slowing down (yes, the ignition was in the ON postition). And I did try to let it start also in fifth gear while it was still moving along at over 30mph. The next day (outside temp was around 25 degrees F) I attempted to start it,in the parking lot where some friend towed me, and it finally started to fire up, like a flooded engine, but would quit immediately when I switched from start to run with the ignition switch. I had a friend check the spark, it sparks well. You can smell gas (the number one spark plug was removed) but there is no hint of it even trying to run. Can a computer cause these symptoms? Is there a way to check the computer to see if it is bad before actually replacing it (they are damn expensive)? Anyone else experience anything like this. It is a 3.0L engine. Thanks, Buffalo PS: A friend of mine just confirmed that the timing belt is OK and that the timing marks are all lined up.

Reply to
Buffalo

| Is there a way to check the computer

mysterios get no info fr me

Reply to
TE Chea

If the computer (ECU) was shot it would not fire at all. Do you know how to get and read the ECU error code, if any? Email me for more instructions if needed.

When you switch to ON without STARTing), the Check Engine light (CEL) should come on for about 3 seconds if its in normal operation.

I suspect a fuel supply problem. There is the MPI relay, an approx 2cm x

3cm x 4cm box. This is either in the center console or on the RHS A pillar. The MPI relay is energised by the IGN switch and supplies power to the fuel pump. It MAY provide power to the ECU too. These sometimes give up and stop the fule pump. Some Mitsu MPI relays have dual activation modes, ON and START. Its possible that the ON position activation has failed.

When you try the START position, can you hear the fuel pump running (a hirring sound) ? You could temporarily hard wire the fuel pump to +12 (at the output of the MPI relay) to get the fuel pump running.

regards Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

You can also search or post the symptoms on

are quite a number of Montero owners there.

Reply to
MG

Thanks, I forgot about that forum. I did register there several years ago.

Reply to
Buffalo