1993 eclipse clutch questions

I have a 1993 non turbo eclipse. The clutch was replaced about a year ago. Now there is alot of play in the pedal, at least an inch maybe more. I have been told by the mitsubishi dealer that there is no way to adjust the freeplay in the pedal since it is a hydrualic system, Is this correct? What can be done to correct the freeplay in the pedal? thanks

Reply to
cdh1125

No, it's not correct. There IS an adjustment in the plunger that goes into the master cylinder. Adjusting takes perhaps 2 minutes. Its just difficult to get at.

HOWEVER, you may also have another problem with the pedal assembly. The clutch pedal pivots on a shaft that travels through the top of the assembly to the RHS of the brake pedal. On the RH end of the shaft is a plate on to which the slave clyinder plunger is attached. This plate is held onto the shaft by a 14mm nut over a double flat side extension. This double flat is what keeps the plate in the right place. The plate is softer than the shaft, and over the years the flatted mounting hole in the plate gets distorted, resulting in pedal slop. Look under dash with a flashlight and wiggle the pedal: if the slip does not move the plate, the hole is worn. Tightening the nut does NOT help.

Its easy to fix: take the plate off (its a bear to get at, but can be done), put it in a vise sideways and squeeze enough to reduce the mounting hole size, then carefully adjust the hole flats until it fits over the shaft again. Might take you a couple of hours. Have a beer when your done .

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I don't know how much difference there was between the 1g and 2g cars in this regard (I have a 2g and just changed the clutch master cylinder), but between the clutch pedal and the clutch master cylinder should be a turnbuckle. Adjusting this will change the freeplay at the top of the pedal travel. Too high, and the clutch won't disengage when it's all the way up... too low and you won't completely disengage. Either is very bad for your clutch and transaxle. I can't imagine there not being some sort of adjustment on it.

Also make sure that your line is bled completely and that your fluid is full. A leaking clutch master will cause the pedal to slowly drop (or quickly in some cases) as air bleeds in.

JS

Reply to
JS
Reply to
cdh1125

What more advice are you looking for? Stewart DIBBS mentioned the same turnbuckle adjustment as I, and also added advice about the clutch pedal assembly itself failing. Your question only addressed clutch freeplay, which was covered.

Is there more to the problem?

JS

Reply to
JS