1997 Eclipse CEL code P0442

I have a 1997 eclipse 2.0L non-turbo. I get the Check Engile Light. OBD-II says code P0442 (Evap emission leak small). What's the most common cause?

I checked all the hoses but have trouble locating all the parts of the system. Haynes manual has a good "logical schematic" of the hoses in the system but the manual does no good in showing where all the components are on the car.

I found the Charcoal canister under the fender on the right front. Lots of hoses. One looks like a purge line to the intake just before the throttle plate.

Does anybody have a good working diagram of the system and a way to identify the parts. I see two solenoids, some check valves, and a T fitting in my books but cannot find the real parts.

How can I test the system. I've found the evap test port (green cap) but don't know what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

Gary Atlanta

Reply to
gary_jabo

loose gas cap or poor seal at gas cap. TG

Reply to
TG

Can't help you on this one but you do know about all the DSM websites for '90-99 eclipse/talon/laser I hope.

Chilton's a pita on a lot of their stuff too --luckily there's a library near me with a factory service manual when I need it.

Reply to
Greg

gary snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote in news:1126662599.675915.290960 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Loose vacuum hose connection or small tear in a vacuum hose.

Just about every vacuum hose you'll likely need to check is located around the intake manifold. Since it's a small leak, you won't necessarily hear any hissing like you would a medium or large leak.

Get a vacuum gage if necessary and test all of the vacuum lines with it.

Reply to
Scott Zane

Sometimes you can find vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner, propane or a similar combustible near the suspect lines while the car idles. If you hear the engine revs increase, then the vacuum is pulling in the vapor so you can look more closely at the rubber to see if it has cracked and is leaking.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
Geary Morton

I had a 97 GS with this same code. Never solved the problem. Even had a dealer look at it, they couldnt find anything wrong . I did all the tests on it system worked like it was supposed to. Had to disconnect the battery to clear the code for emmisions tests.

Reply to
Michael