1999 eclipse brake question.

The brake light switch is what limits upwards travel of the pedal. Unless you've been fiddling with it (which I doubt, as you had the dealer do the brakes) these things rarely if ever work loose (there's a lock nut). Changing the brake pads does NOT require adjustment of this switch. If there was not a problem before the brakes were done, the switch won't cause problems afterwards.

More likely is that the spring that pulls the pedal back up has come off. This lets the pedal sag enough under its own weight to cause the brakes to drag, heat up and eventually lock. This usually affects both calipers. Takes

1 minute to fix.

If this spring is in place, then the brake job has been done improperly. For example, a badly remanufactured caliper can jam on its slides. Caliper pistons can jam. If only one caliper locked up, then its either a faulty caliper or the job was not done properly eg wrong pads, shims not fitted.

So ... its not total BS, but I think the dealer is trying to weasel out of supporting their warranty.

For a 99 model, its time to yourself find a decent import garage. You're paying perhaps double the labour rate you need at a dealer, and the work/expertise is usually as good or in this case, better.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart is a kind man with a measured and even temper; I tend to be far more blunt. At the very minimum, your dealer sucks. His advice to find a different tech is solid. Go to one of the web forums like

or
and lurk. You'll be able to hook up with locals and inquire about service. If you've ever given consideration to D/I/Y this will interest you;

simpleton

Well, I CAN be very blunt. Why, just last month I received some spam from the Financial Services division of my bank (Oh goody, an identifyable target !) and the letter I sent in probably blistered the paint on the board room walls. And I did get a response, though unfortunately, just what I expected. I've since moved my mortgage to ING Bank.

Anyway, its always good to give a dealer the benefit of doubt, once.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Spam from a bank is rare. Are you sure it wasn't Phishing? Like this link:

http://210.115.40.116/.i/.www.LaSalleBank.com/LogOn/ They aren't, of course, associated with a real bank. They just want you to enter personal info for identity theft.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

I used to get plenty of Phishing till I switched ISP's, but this was definitely the local rep of the bank. I have the impression he got hauled over the coals for it too.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Basicly, I had new brakes put in recently by a large dealership. After a week the calipers locked and the service tech said it would not be covered by their warranty because the brake switch was "mis-aligned". Can a brake light switch cause a brake failure or is this just B.S?

Reply to
L0new0lf