2001 Eclipse GT service

Hi,

My 2001 Eclipse GT is at 50, 000 miles, and apart from routine oil changes, has never had any major service. I'm planning to put it in to a mechanic in the next week or so to get the timing belt changed, and new spark plugs fitted. While they're doing this, is there anything else that should be replaced while they have the engine apart?

This is what I was planning to have done:

Timing belt kit Water pump Spark plugs (what kind would be recommended?) Spark plug cables, (again, what would you reccomend?)

Is it worth changing the clutch now?

How much should this little lot cost - not at a dealer (my local dealer doesn't impress me at all)?

Thanks in advance,

Dave White

Reply to
jdoe

you should be able to go up to at minimum 75,000 miles before the timing belt & water pump get replaced. the plugs are stated to last up to 60,000. However, at most I would replace the plugs and would use NGK platnum's or Denso Platnums. If you're looking for more kick, try the Denso Iridium's. they run $13 each.

the clutch should be just fine unless you feel it starting to slip.

Reply to
Eric F

Thanks for you help Eric, the main thing I needed taking care of here are the plugs and cables - the car's been running a bit rougher lately, so I suspect the plugs (with my previous cars, I'd change the plugs every year just for the hell of it, but the transverse Eclipse engine makes that too difficult). I just figured that if they're digging into the engine to do the plugs, they may as well take care of the other stuff, as it'll need doing within the next year or so anyway. However, if I can squeeze another year out of the timing belt and water pump, I may leave them till next year. Similarly, the clutch feels fine, so it'll wait.

I'll go with the Iridium's, but are there any 'better' cables, or are they all pretty much the same?

Reply to
jdoe

I wouldn't bother with the water pump. I don't exactly hear of Mitsu water pumps going out at 60k, or even 100k, or most of the time even

150k. I'd just change it at the next timing belt job at 100k. If you want supreme peace of mind, then knock yourself out, though. Depends how much it costs, I guess.

For plugs, it's a non-turbo, so platinums should be fine and should last a good while. I wouldn't bother with any of the "gimmick" plugs. Check nopi.com for NGK wires. They are probably pretty cheap and will be at least if good, usually better, than just about anything else out there. I can't think of ANY bad word said about NGK wires.

Heck no. Change the tranny fluid if it's never been changed, though.

Reply to
Brad