2001 Galant - AC Died - HELP!

The guy I carpool with has a 2001 Galant v6 with 100k on it. The other day we were driving home, and about 1/2 mi from work we heard the accessory belts chirp. I figured it was just the belts getting a little loose and effect of having the ac and power steering engaged at the same time. But the AC started blowing less cold air until it was just warm air. About 10mi down the road, the center vents spewed a small cloud of dust.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what it might be. The next chance for an appointment is a week away. Is it possible to do the work ourselves? (I'm not an idiot with cars, and changing the AC compressor doesn't look difficult). He says he has a copy of the factory service manual.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Just a chirp might be the compressor belt tensioner bearing giving up and misaligning the belts.

The cloud of dust is not good. Unless this was just condensation, its the remainder of the A/C degassing into the cabin. This can only happen if there's a hole or the pressure built up so far to blow an O-ring. Pressure build up should be limited by the High pressure switch in the pipe system that cuts off the compressor.

Fixing it yourself is really not an option, unless its just a belt. It may be the compressor, but the best thing is to have the car looked at by a professional. You'll have to take it there anyway if its degassed, or the compressor has to be replaced.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

It's probably the belt (no tensioner on that model and particular belt if I remember). The smoke was probably condensation due to humidity. I happens when the AC cycles on and off. In this case it was off forever. You will probably have to replace the belt as a min. Check the oil pressure light too. That electrical connector is sometimes wacked when the AC belt breaks.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Well we took a good look at the acc belt and saw nothing broken or out of line.

The smoke had a brownish tinge to it - didn't really resemble condensation - but I'm not certain about it.

He managed to get an appt for tomorrow with a recommended AC shop - I hope the verdict isn't obscenely $$.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

For the googlers...

The technician said his compressor was leaking badly, and that he'll need a new compressor and drier installed. $1000 total estimate including 4h labor. I think it's legit.

One point of note: the parts store cheapo R134a fill-up cans of refrigerant are not a good idea. Most of them contain a sealant compound designed to fill the leak - which will ruin the fancy machine that the technician would use to diagnose the system. My friend used a can of the r134a to see if it would help (it didn't), but he got lucky that the technician didn't find sealant in the system and deny him service. I had never heard of this, but then again it was my first time dealing with AC problems.

So don't use that stuff in a can unless you know that a professional repair is out of the question, or unless you're sure there are no stop-leak additives in it.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman