2001 L200 4Life

I have a 2001 L200 4Life and had problems with the car going into limp mode/engine maintenance light coming on. I did a little research and came across the overboost problem that is common in this car (apparently). I took it to my local dealership and they said they would take a look. When I picked it up they said they had fixed it and it was something to do with a rod that needed skimming in a valve somewhere or other (I didn't know what he was on about, so I think he tried to baffle me). Anyway, the next day, the same problem occurred, so I was thinking the turbo needed replacing. I thought I'll leave it for the time being and see how it pans out....it didn't happen again for a week, so I thought 'happy days'...........then the car basically lost all power and strange noises were coming from the engine, and the gear stick was shaking violently when travelling on the motorway. I drove to my local garage, they had a quick look and spotted the problem immediately. Apparently, the waste gate to the turbo drive is simply snapped in two. He showed me and sure enough there was a rusty old rod that was in two pieces. I explained that I had taken it to a dealership because of the overboost issues, and I showed him the bill....he was surprised.....I asked why......he explained that they couldn't possibly have done what they said they have done......apparently because the waste gate tube/rod was broken. He said I should take this up with the dealership. Does this sound like the dealership have 'done me'? I just wanted some other advice before I get an independent engineer in to take a look.

Reply to
Brad

Why in the world would you seek advice on the internet before having an independent engineer take a look? He's a professional and you don't know a soul that responds to your post. Just go back to the dealer armed with what your mechanic explained to you, or to your independent engineer. What can anyone on the internet possibly benefit you in this situation that they can't?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I could benefit considerably to the tune of £70 or so. I am simply looking for someone who has maybe had experience of this waste gate problem and could say to me, actually they could have missed it or yes, sounds like they have charged you for work not done! I know next to nothing about the L200 and use this newsgroup to find out such things. I suppose my original question should be: is it worth paying for an independent engineer to take a look?

Reply to
Brad

Sorry - I missed the subtle difference in the way the question appeared. I think that regardless of the experiences of many, you have a legitimate complaint against the dealership that charged you for stated work. Fortunately for you, they provided you with a detailed report claiming to have done certain work which your independent mechanic was able to demonstrate to you, could not have been done with the conditions at hand. I'd take that right back to the dealer and be quite frank with them. No point in going in and raising hell, just put the facts on the table. I'd certainly be seeking my money back - or I'd be challenging the charges if you put the chages on a card.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

This sounds like the rod from the waste gate actuator (a vacuum controlled device) to the waste gate. This is on the front of the engine and gets all the road dirt and salt (if present). They rust, esspecially on the hot connection to the waste gate itself. Waste gate pivot levers can and do rust up. The rod simply has a hole and fits over a shaft. When these rust up the waste gate can stay partially open (ie low boost) or jam shut (overboost and engine cut out).

Since your original complaint was overboost, the dealer would certainly have to look at the waste gate system. If the rod was so rusty as to be close to breaking point, it is reasonable to think that the dealer would at least suggest that the waste gate actuator be replaced. Just bear in mind that the this rod is a mere 6mm in diameter. If it breaks, my first response would be to cut the rod back to good metal, cut an M6 thread and join it with an M6 threaded sleeve. This would certainly be a less expensive than replacing the entire waste gate actuator, esspcially if it is otherwise serviceable. Such a repair would take me less than an hour.

ie, fix the problem, not change a complete assembly.

What I suspect is that the mechanic poked around at the waste gate, and bent the rod at the rust point getting it on and off (if he even could), such that it failed within a few days.

At the very least, you got a moderate hosing. The dealer has a warranty for repairs: hold them to it.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Superb responses....exactly what I needed!! Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm going today....

Reply to
Brad

Well here's the story. I went along to the dealership with my story, to which they replied : we didn't fix the overboost, all we did was clear the fault codes. Of course I have no response to this, it was my word against his. The invoice simply says 'clear overboost clear fault codes', I know when I picked the car up from him that he told me that he had skimmed the rod, he even talked about the rod today, but now he says they only cleared the fault codes.

A lesson learned I think. Certainly won't be going to a Mitzi dealer again. I don't wish to generalise about all dealerships, but I've had my fingers burnt.

Reply to
Brad

So ... you still need to fix the overboost problem. Getting the turbo off is usually not too hard (when its cold...) , and thence the waste gate section. There'll be two issues:

  1. carbon build up; and
  2. surface rust.

Clean every thing up so the waste gate lever flaps easily. Fix the broken rod as needed, and make sure you have a clip that secures the rod to the lever. I've found that the injector harness U clip is the right diameter wire (about 0.6mm)

regards Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS