2001 mitsibishi Galant trans failure

My wife was driving home , and the car just all of the sudden acted as though she had put it into neutral . It reved way high . There were no gears at all . She coasted off the freeway , and stooped . The car would not move in reverse or any drive gears . I checked the fluid , and it was a brown color , and it appears to be over filled . We bought the car new , and haven't put any fluid in it , nor changed it . The car has 65,000 miles on it . It is a 2001 mitsibishi galant with the 6cyl . engine . I'm figuring that I'm looking at a large expense , however I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar incident , or knows what the problem (s) might be , or of a possible simpler solution ? I would appreciate any related feedback . Thanks ..........joe

Reply to
Jwhite2005

Well, probably. Tow it to a tranmission shop. It MAY, just MAY, need only a flush and new filters.

Other possible problems: a) torque converter has failed, but the transmission is OK, if underserviced. Requires the transmission to be removed to fix, but not that big a job, and equates to changing the clutch in a manual. Most trans failures result in the trans setting in limp mode (2nd gear). No movement at all suggests the converter.

b) transmission computer has failed. Replace / repair the computer. c) transmission has failed. You need a rebuild ... $$$$

The shop will be able to advise. Have your credit card ready...

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS