2002 Galant ES Radio/Defroster Problem

Hello, I have a 2002 Galant ES which I have a love/hate relationship problem with. Last August (2005) when I started using the rear window defroster it would make my radio all fuzzy and I couldn't hear a thing. The defroster also doesn't work that great. I called my local mitsu dealer and they suggested that I have my rear window replaced because they said the wires for the defroster fused to the wires for the antenna in the window. I got a price to have it replaced for $260 which is fine, but I had an idea to unhook the antenna from the window to see what happens and the radio still gets messed up when I turn the defroster on. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this besides a bad window? I wouldn't be too excited about replacing it and still having the same problem. I would probably have the same amount of excitement that I get when replacing brakes and rotors every 4k miles.

Reply to
JRK247

OK, you are getting noise pickup in the radio. I'd start by having the alternator checked that its not putting out a noise spike (common problem if one diode is dead) under a load eg a rear window defroster. Also check if the same effect occurs when the rad fan is running. Might even do it (briefly) on switching to high beam .

Also check the grounding of the engine and battery.

This would take a pretty heavy current in the defroster to melt some distance of glass, assuming the radio antenna is even in the rear window. Sounds like techobabble to me. Is there a separate normal antenna somewhere?

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS