2003 Lancer Brakes

All, I recently replaced my brakes and noticed that one of the front brake pads had a Clip that the same brake on the other side did not. It was C Shaped and attached to the Break Pad. Could somebody please tell me what the purpose of this clip is and where it goes.... I am assuming the missing clip popped off somewhere while driving.

Thanks

Reply to
Burhans

Are you referring to a shim? That is a metal plate that attaches to the back of the pad. They are normally reused, but often are lost or forgotten.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Forgot to add an explaination...A shim is used to minimize movement of the pad in the caliper and reduce squeaking. If you don't have squeaking, don't worry....you should have both or none on there though...

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

The clip is a brake pad wear detector ,Its function is to cause a high pitched squeal when your pads are worn down, Its only fitted to the drivers side on some models

Reply to
psychodad

My guess would be that it's not the shim, but perhaps the wear indicator on one end of the pad.

Nobody U. Know wrote:

Reply to
Nirodac