3000GT

I'm thinking about getting a 3000GT but wanted to know what other thought about the car. I'm the looks, performance but the reliability of the car. Do you guys have a lot of small or big problems with the car?

And should I get this car or save up and get another car??

thanks, Kristopher

Reply to
Kristopher Heiss

"Kristopher Heiss" wrote in news:wEvXa.42888$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

My .02:

- I baby it.

- I don't race it (get on it here and there...yes). I have nothing to prove to anyone. You wanna say yours is faster - fine. It's only a 3.0 engine anyway. My driving record is clean and insurance relatively cheap. Zero "abuse repairs".

- I bought it because of sharp looking body design (my opinion) in combo with it's red. I wouldn't have bought if it was another color. I've had it next to the same vehicle another color. Again, in my opinion, two different vehicles)

- You don't specify turbo or not. I'm no turbo. Wish I did except at insurance or repairs time.

- You don't specify mileage. The 60k shop price maintenance (here anyway) is like $1200. The timing belt labor is extensive.

- If the water pump has never been replaced when the 60k is done, change it. If it goes at 61k miles, the labor is very similar to the timing belt.

- Many reported issues with the valves ticking at idle/startup when cold. Certain years had small lube holes. Air getting trapped in lifters. Listen for it with a COLD engine when it seems to be at it's worse. Lifter parts & labor are covered for 5 years. Fortunately my dealer replaced them N/C and even used the larger oil hole parts. This in combo with using an oil filter with anti-drainback valve has all but eliminated it.

That's my situation, first thoughts and two cents. Someone with turbo and AWD would probably say I have low standards :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

Al Bundy wrote in news:Xns93CDB24F085ADAlBundy@130.81.64.196:

p.s. Of course I don't drive it in the snow!!!! :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

I've had mine about 3 years...'91. I bought it @ 110,000 miles..Now it has

Reply to
Kev

I have a 95 3000gt and it is super. Maintenance is expensive, I have

128,000 miles and have replaced timing chain and water pump and lots of tires. Very few repairs, but costly when it happens. Recently clutch slave cylinder went, $600. I drive it every day here in the north east. Mostly country roads, doing 55+ or highways. Drive it in the winter with 4 snows, real expensive tires.

If I had to do it again without a doubt I would buy it. It looks great, drives exactly how I want. Heavy - no - solid yet responsive. Good luck.

Reply to
Shel

I have a '93 GT with about 88K miles. I drove it daily in Houston traffic, until I retired about 2 yrs ago. Now I drive it once a week to keep the oil flowing and the battery charged. (My wife is handicapped, so we take the sedan when she is in the car.) I've had a couple of problems with it, the main one being the auto transmission. Rebuilt twice, at 30k and 80k. I think the motor is too powerful for the transmission, but I need the auto for Houston traffic (stop and go, mostly stop).The first was covered by the warranty. The other problem was the transmission computer went out and had to be replaced. Got a rebuilt one from California, but wasn't cheap,even then.

Mine is red, and, I,also, wouldn't have any other color. I also don't race it. The car, after 11 model years, still looks new, and the design holds it own with the current crop of new cars. I've towed a small boat with it with no problems, but I've sold the boat now. Imagine, a 3000GT with a trailer hitch! Parked among the pickups at the launch ramp, it was a thoroughbred among plow horses.

Buy the car. It's definitely fun to drive.

Reply to
Alan

Interesting to note that you fitted your 3000gt with a tow bar - I too have a '93 with auto transmission, and have recently bought a small boat on a trailer, but I have traded the wife's car for a suitable tow car - I checked with the mitsi. manual and it stated that a tow bar could not be fitted.

How was it done ??

Reply to
tregonissy

You towed a small boat and wonder why you had auto trans problems....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

"Bob Shuman" wrote in news:pd40b.103853$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Ya think maybe? :-)

No.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Yea, probably, although that's not what the dealer thought.

And the second time, I hadn't towed for at least 2 years due to ill health.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Well, I just took it to a firm that did a lot of hitches.. They had a custom fit for it.......

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Reply to