89 colt very hard starting when dead cold. Any ideas?

Hi all;

I could sure use some help with the following problem: I have an 89 Colt 200 hatchback with a 1.5l fuel injected engine which all of a sudden started to be really hard to start. I have to pump it about ten times (key off) then hit start with no gas pedal at all, at which point it just barely catches 4 maybe 3 seconds. If i give it ANY gas it dies immediately. So, I do this about 15 times and it gets warm enough to keep running. As soon as it warms up it runs just great. Intermittenly, the problem disappears. My guess it is some kind of a cold start relay which is sticking.

Any help on this will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanking youall in advance.

Sincerely, BlackHawk2525

Reply to
BlackHawk2525

Adjust the valves before doing anything else, You will find that the exhaust valves are closed tight when cold. When warmed up there is an opening and the engine runs correctly

Reply to
jonny

You might also check that a) you have adequate coolant, and b) the coolant temp sensor is connected and functional.

because, assuming for an 89, fuel injection the ECU expects a valid temperature sensor voltage. If it's open circuit (eg the sensor connector wires are corroded) the engine will be very hard to start.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Hey Jonny, r u a total MORON, or do u just talk like one. U should be careful: some novice might actually believe yor BULLSHIT answer is accurate. What a LOAD of CRAP. Tight exhaust valves my ass!

Reply to
BlackHawk2525

Thanks 4 yor thoughtful reply. I have been doing some work on the coolant temperature sensor. Maybe my repair leaves something to be desired. Why would low coolant level affect starting? wouldn't the coolant temperature sensor register the same cold reading whether or not u had coolant? I could see how low coolant could easily affect the reading when the engine was hot, but that is not my problem.

In any case, thanks again. Sincerely BlackHawk2525

Reply to
BlackHawk2525

Yes black hawk you have a very poor command of grammer, The same as your knowledge of injection motors. Pumping the throttle on an colt injection motor does absolutely nothing except move the butterfly. If the motor has not been serviced for some time ,As is the case with your car,then the valves will tighten ,Causing hard starting when cold. That is a fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.(Adjust the valves before doing anything else,) All they need is adjusting, A fault with the temp sensor will normally cause the check engine light to ignite.You dont mention that , Have you also removed the bulb?? I suggest that if you have not got the intelligence to read the help been offered , and only able to offer insults back,Then take your trade to a garage, If of cause you have the funding to pay for proffesional help that is. which i doubt, jonny

Reply to
jonny

Jonny, U R RIGHT, I WAS WRONG in calling u a moron, etc., please forgive me. I must admit, the negative tangent we r on was ALL MY FAULT. U were just trying 2 b helpful. And I INSULTED u 4 yor efforts! What an ASSHOLE I was! I can clearly see that i let the dark side get the better of me, big time. I'm REALLY sorry 4 that., I'll try very hard to not let that happen again. Insults should not ever be used. A reasoned discourse is the ideal. I will do my best from here on to do that. Sorry again. U obviously know a great deal more about cars than i do. The "check engine" light does come on, az u said, and it STAYS on. My ownerz manual says that that has to do with the exhause system, which does leak a LOT. That's why i thought it was on, so I didn't mention it, but it did start coming on about (I wouldn.t be surprised if it were EXACTLY) the same time as the hard starting problem showed up.

I'm sure you are right about the valve clearance reduction over a looong time, az the seats and faces, especially on the REALLY hot exhaust valves should wear over time. The reason I thought yor anser was off the mark, to put it politely, as I should have, was because I stated that "(the) engine which all of a sudden started to be really hard to start" and also that " Intermittenly, the problem disappears.". I guess u were concentrating on the hard starting part. AND, I hadn't mentioned the 'check engine' light.

Regarding the pumping, I don't know why it makes a difference, but if I don't pump it, it won't start AT ALL. A mystery. 2 me anyway.

If u want me 2 apologize again, just say so, and I will. You could be really kind, and tell me you forgive me. Although I know that's a lot to ask. You could say something like "I forgive you, you ASSHOLE."

Sincerely, BlackHawk2525

Reply to
BlackHawk2525

BlackHawk2525 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

What the hell is this, that Bubonics shit?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Snip, snip

I don't know what Bubonics is, But, this IS me apologizing 2 a mentor

4 insulting him. I only hope that otherz may learn from my mistake and not act like a fool, az I did. I sincerely hope u understand. BlackHawk2525
Reply to
BlackHawk2525

BlackHawk2525 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com:

It's hard to take anyone serious who gives the impression they're some crack-head teenager who's only writing experience has been AOL IM.

translation...

Iz hard 2 take any1 4real who givz the idea they r + crack-head 13-19 whoz o lee riteing xperenz haz bin AOL IM.

Reply to
Al Bundy

If u woud b so kind az 2 tell me what "Bubonics" iz i woud REALLY appreciate it. az they sae 1 iz nevr 2 old 2 lern. Could you possibly mean phonics? Very subtle, hehe.

Thank u 4 not calling me a MORON. If u were Jonny sayin that u didnt take me serious, i woud b happee, but u arnt, r u?

now there iz mor 2 lern: ?AOL IM? Hey, i think i get it! Iz IM Instant Messageing?

Is "riteing" misspelled? Shouldn't it be "rietin"? I've heard that in IM, one is supposed to leave out all unnesessary vowels. which is certainly not my intent. I must admit, I don't have a clue how one would spell "writiing" in IM grammar. the reazon i write in phonics iz 2 make it easier 4 all the Billionz of non-native English speakers out there to someday have an easier time of communicatin in our unnecessarily difficult language. After all, it iz only az difficult az we make it; and i, 4 1, hope 2 make it simpler, IF no one objects, which you obviously do. My mistake. I can see your point. You are absolutely right, and I was wrong! One should use the best possible grammar when apologizing in writing. So, Jonny, please forgive another error on my part. I think you would both agree that Shorthand English should only be used with the consent of all concerned. Which means I owe you an apology as well, Al. I will only use proper (well, almost) grammar from now on, unless shorthand English is requested (either directly or implied).

Can we talk about cars now?

I Sincerely Hope So. BlackHawk2525

Reply to
BlackHawk2525