'89 mitsubishi mirage - fuel pump

I have found a cap under the rear seat in my car, that won't start of course... under the cap is a round disc about 6" in diameter, 2 wires protrude from a connector. this is held to the gas tank with 4 slim bolts.

The question is. Is this my fuel pump? Or just a fuel sender unit for the guages? Another question if I may. Where is the pressure test valve located on the fuel line. Cannot seem to find it anywhere?

Hope somebody can be of some assistance with this matter.

Thank you ahead of time...

_\|/_ Mitsubishi driver

Reply to
mitsubishi driver

Yes, and the gauge sender too.

I am not aware of there being a test valve, but a test gauge can be fitted to the injector rail if needed. There is a test connector in the engine bay to verify that the fuel pump is getting power. You can test if fuel is getting to the injector rail. Try to start the engine. Turn off the ign. Undo the two M6 bolts on the fuel line where it connects to the injector rail. CAREFULLY wiggle the line off or nearly off. You should get some fuel leaking out from the residual pressure.

You problem is more likely that a) the MPI relay has given up, and is not powering the pump. The MPI relay is a large can behind the radio, or on RHS behind the dash. You should hear it click when you try to start. Likewise you should be able to hear the pump whirr when you try to start.

b) the fuel filter on the firewall is blocked.

c) your fuel pump has given up. Don't pull this out unless you have to: it's a bear to get the high pressure lines off without damage. Check that you have power on the wires. The larger one is the pump power, the smaller is the gaugesender.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS