90 Montero WWiper Problem

The WW on the passenger side goes over center (downside) and locks up. Anyone know how to fix it? Is it worn linkage? If I run it in delay mode, it is usually ok, but when I run it normal or fast, it seems that the inertia moves it to far down. Thanks for any hints beside buying a newer vehicle. :)

Reply to
Buffalo

Lift off the cap where the wiper arm attaches to the shaft. It should lift off or pivot up with a little prying. The wiper arm should be held down by bolt with a 10mm head. If the bolt is loose that is probably the problem and can be fixed by simply tightening the bolt with the wipers in the proper parked position. The wiper arm is made of the softer metal so if the splines are damaged you may need to replace the wiper arm.

If the bolt is tight then worn/mis-adjusted linkage is likely.

Reply to
G. R. Woodring

Thanks. It seems that the ww arm linkage 'spindle housing' underneath the bolt has an embossment that is supposed to fit in a notch in the cowling. The notch is all worn out and now I need to figure out how to secure the 'spindle housing' in the proper positin so that it doesn't slip. I suspect that the linkage arm bushing are also worn just enough so that the little arm below the 'spindle bushing; will go past dead center and lock up. Does anyone know what different models and years of Monteros use the same linkages? Any place for cheaper replacement linkages than Mitsubisihi? Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Reply to
Buffalo