91 Galant smokes bad at first start

Any ideas what could cause this car to smoke when you first crank it up. It's a lot of blue (oil) smoke at first and then it goes thin after warming up. Remains to smoke just a little bit. There are a few drops of water that comes out of the tail pipe but I don't think anything serious.

thanks in advance for any help. I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a hose or pcv valve or something that could cause this before I would have to take the head off.

It's a:

91 Mitsubishi Galant 4cyl 2.0 motor and I'm told that the block has been replaced.

Thanks again in advance for any help on this vehicle.

Reply to
Dennis C. Latham

Valve seals (probably), and clear water is a byproduct of combustion. Most time can replace seals with with cylinder head in car

Reply to
coryrhonda

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:20:26 -0600, "Dennis C. Latham" scribbled:

And what sorta milage is on the motor? We aren't psychic.

Reply to
Phillip Weston

Well, Phil, it's a '91, so around 200,000km would not be unexpected. In any case, the description of the smoke is definitive of the need for new valve stem seals. Its a common problem at 180,000+ km.

So, original poster Dennis, do the following: a) get a wet and dry compression test to check the rings. Another test is let the car idle for about 10 minutes. If it starts to smoke, or blow smoke when revved, your rings are toast. b) get the head off and have it serviced with new valve stem seals. Replace the belts and waterpump at the same time.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Dennis C. Latham

Sounds as if your head needs to be rebuilt. Possibly the valve seat not sealing properly until heated up. Or it could be your piston rings not sealing completely until heated up. Perform a compression test to verify this. The compression in each cylinders should be close to equal. If not then you will need to replace the rings to correct this prob. Not a big deal if it quits after warming up. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are trying to sell it.

mcgdo snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
<chrismcgdo