91 Talon Quit ??? Looking for thoughts

1991 Eagle Talon, 2.0 DOHC 2WD Non-Turbo 5 speed.

Daughter was driving yesterday. She said it started to pull to one side(?), decelerate, steering got stiff, oil light came on (engine quit) and won't restart. Towed it home. (I think it just quit on her and she, of course, lost power steering)

Initial findings - Starter turns, but engine not cranking, sounded like pinion not engaging. Didn't make sense as far as quitting, but puller starter to have a quick look. Lubricated pinion shaft, bench test starter and it's ok. - Looked in at flywheel - looks ok and turns when crankshaft pulley is turned. Re-installed starter. Same starter spin with no crank.

If clutch is released (in gear) as starter spins down, car lurches - so starter is turning something! If engine is turning, then there is no compression.

Looking through oil filler cap while moving crankshaft back and forth - I see no movement in visible camshaft.

Pulled timing belt upper cover. Belt is tintack and tight. (Replaced about

20000 miles back). Tried rocking camshaft pulley back and forth, cam moves (slightly before becoming tight) and belt moves, but when rocking crankshaft pulley back and forth - no camshaft/timing belt movement is seen.

So - Is it possible for the outer crankshaft pulley (accessory belts) to still be turning with the crank, but not the internal crankshaft pulley for the timing belt? And is this is the case, is this an interference engine and the valves now toast from piston contact on spool down?

Or could this be an easy fix by pulling lower timing cover?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Any previous experience with a similar problem? Mike

Reply to
Mike Martin

You didn't mention if the timing belt turned when cranking the starter after you pulled the upper timing belt cover.

Could be what you're thinking, that the crankshaft pulley is separated. Stick a breaker bar on there and see if the tbelt turns with the pulley and the accessory belts. The timing belt is on the crankshaft just as the crank pulley and accessory belts are, so if they don't all move when you turn the crank pully, that's probably the problem.

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
Mike Martin

It's quite likely that the teeth have been sheared off the belt where it lies around the crankshaft sprocket behind the pulley you can see... i guess this could happen if a camshaft seized from lack of lubrication or a foreign object jammed something up, or possibly from a poor quality belt delaminating maybe after being installed incorrectly with incorrect tension... I've seem one with several teeth missing and others about to fall off after only about 20,000 kms I think these are all interference engines so it would most likely have caused valve damage I'm afraid

Reply to
Ricky