92 Eclipse

I just purchased a nice eclipse for 150 it is a 92. When I say nice I mean the body and the interior is nice. The car however does not start. I was told the car needs clutch. When I went to pick up the title and keys I attempted to start it. When the car is in neutral and the clutch is depressed it will whirl and sometimes a metal clunking noise is made. I had the previous owner do this while I watched I noticed when it just whirls the accessory belt does not turn when it clunks the belt turns a little. If you try to start the car with it in gear and the clutch depressed it does the same thing except goes forward while doing the whirring and clunking. Any help would be much appreciated. Also what components do I need to replace to do a full clutch.

Clutch set Pressure Plate Flywheel and Ring Gear Master and Slave cyl. does that sound right? How many labor hours in terms of flat rate.

Reply to
Todd2454

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1163300579.354722.223110 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Sounds like maybe the starter isn't engaging all the time. If the bendex doesn't engage the flywheel, the starter motor will just spin, making a whirling noise. On the other hand, you may have worn or missing teeth on your flywheel and the bendex just barely engages, giving a clunking sound as it spins. Remove the starter motor and check the ring gear teeth and the solnoid. While you may need a clutch, the motor should at least turn over, with the clutch pedal depressed. While your replacing the clutch, check the flywheel gear teeth for wear.

Reply to
Yar

How would I check to see if the timing belt has gone or does this not sound like a timing belt problem?

Reply to
Todd2454

Sorry I couldn't post a reply to your other msg about the timing belt, Xnews wouldn't let me.

If your timing belt had jumped a few teeth, the motor would crank but not start If the belt had jumped several teeth the bashing sound would (depending on the engine) be continuos as the pistons beat themselves against your valves (a very bad thing) If the belt was totally gone, same bashing sound, but constantly, as you cranked the engine. BUT, the differance between a timing belt going and a starter motor problem (as in your case) is that your accessory belt is intermittantly turning. It is driven from the crank shaft pully, which is cranked by the starter motor. It should always turn when your cranking the engine, assuming of course that whatever it is driving hasn't seized up. Usually there is an plastic cover at one end of the valve cover that comes off and exposes the timing belt.

Sorry I couldn't post a reply to your other msg about the timing belt, Xnews wouldn't let me.

If your timing belt had jumped a few teeth, the motor would crank but not start If the belt had jumped several teeth the bashing sound would (depending on the engine) be continuos as the pistons beat themselves against your valves (a very bad thing) If the belt was totally gone, same bashing sound (depending on engine), but constantly, as you cranked the engine. BUT, the differance between a timing belt going and a starter motor problem (as in your case) is that your accessory belt is intermittantly turning. It is driven from the crank shaft pully, which is cranked by the starter motor. It should always turn when your cranking the engine, assuming of course that whatever it is driving hasn't seized up. Usually there is an plastic cover at one end of the valve cover that comes off and exposes the timing belt.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1163300579.354722.223110 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Nirodac

Reply to
Todd2454

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Personnally, I would worry about the engine 1st, before I would worry about the clutch. Check the timing belt alignment, check the starter motor, then check the compression. You can learn lots from compression tests.

Reply to
Nirodac