92 Expo Check engine light after timing belt replacement

I have a 92 Expo with the check engine light on. I had the timing belt replaced at around 120K and the light came on while driving home. The mechanic pulled the code and it was 43 - indicating a problem with the EGR valve. My car does not have an EGR valve (no CA emissions). About

10K before the timing belt replacement I had to have the module (computer) replaced. I suppose it is possible that the replacement module came from a California car. But there was no light for that 10K miles between the module replacement and the timing belt replacement. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have to take this in for environmental quality testing this month and they will fail it if the light is on.
Reply to
terrysduncan

You sure the timing marks were all aligned when the new belt was installed?

Reply to
Bob Shuman

You don't say if this the 4G93 1.8L 16v or the 4G64 2.3L 8v engine.

If its the 4G64, I'll bet the engine does not feel as powerful or smooth as it used to, and there's a strong engine rattle at 2200-2500 rpm. This is THE symptom of the oil pump 90 or 180 degrees out of phase with the cam belt. Do not let the mechanic snowjob you with "it's just an exhaust resonance": its not. He did the job wrong and its his responsibility to do it right. Shouldn't take more than an hour at most.

I don't have experience with the 4G93, but I willing to bet the belt alignment is off.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thank you both for the responses. Those are the symptoms exactly and it is the 2.3L engine. The mechanic is a friend - so I don't think its a snow job - I haven't pushed it since I believe its getting better gas mileage now. But now that its time for emissions testing, I need to get it taken care of. I plan to drive it till it drops but that may not be too far distant considering its killed two computer modules in the last three years, burns a good bit of oil and can be difficult to shift.

-Terry

Stewart DIBBS wrote:

Reply to
terrysduncan