'94 3000 GT Inner Tie Rod Replacement

I have a 1/16 inch of side-to-side play at the right wheel, which I have traced down to a bad right side inner tie rod. Both sides inner rods will be replaced. I plan on renting or buying an inner tie rod wrench, but is is necessary to use a back-up wrench to hold the rack to prevent torque damage to the rack on removal and installation? Clearance on the right side is pretty tight, any advice on this?

Reply to
edge

The '94 3000GT is essentially the same as the 94 Talon, and the inner tie rod end (on the rack) requires a 32mm (or was that 27mm or 28mm, I forget) wrench.

- remove the outer tierod end

- remove the bellows seal on the tie rod

- Locate the hammered down tabs that LOCK the tierod end on to the rack, and bend them back out. There may be a roll pin lock instead of tabs.

- Turn the rack to full lock

- fit the wrench as square as you can get it on the tie rod end. and give it a jolt with a hammer if you can't undo it. Threads are std right hand on both sides of the rack. The rack end has flats of 19mm or 21mm.

You may find that taking the rack out is easier. With the rack out you can service the two oil tubes, as they tend to rust.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS