94 Eagle Talon 16 inch Rims???

My '94 Eagle Talon came with stock steel 14 inch rims. I have a chance to get a GOOD deal on 16 inch stylish rims with nice tires. Question: I think the bolt pattern is the same but will there be adequate room in the wheel wells? The tires are P205/55/R16. Any help would be appreciated.....

Reply to
Lurker

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:08:19 GMT, "Lurker" scribbled:

reports that a 1994 Eagle Talon has 205/55 R16's as original equipment, but the Talon DL, which I assume you have has

185/70 R14's. I'm guessing the Talon and the Talon DL bodies, more specifically the wheel wells are the same. Therefore those wheels and tires *should* fit. It might be a good idea to try before you buy though.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Phil

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

Thanks for the QUICK reply and research! I think they will. The 14 inchers look tiny in the wheel wells. Am so happy as this is too good to pass up !

Reply to
Lurker

It would help if you can find out what car these wheels were fitted to.

The tire size will fit in side the wheel wells. The issues you have to check are a) the bolt pattern should be 5x4.50" (114.3mm) b) the centerbore should be not less than 64.1mm c) if the wheels are 6.0", the offset should be approximately 46mm

If these wheels are the Talon 6.0x16 styled steel wheels, or Talon alloys, no problem. If they are something else, make sure they fit. For example, the

6.5x16 alloy rims and 205/55R16 tires from an Acura RSX have the correct bolt pattern, a suitable offset (45mm), but the wheels won't fit because the centerbore is too small. This could be corrected by any machine shop for about $50 per wheel. In addition you have to use the Honda/Acura wheel nuts.

The offset number is usually cast into the rim somewhere. Might be something like E46 or E42. If the rim is 6.0", and the offset is less than 42, don't use them. The smaller offset will cause increased steering feedback and mess up your steering geometry.

If these are aftermarket rims, and the centerbore is, say, 72mm (a common size), you HAVE to get some adapter rings that adjust 72mm to 64.1mm, because the wheels have to be ACCURATELY centered on the hub. Any speed shop can supply these for about $20 per set of 4.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

good answer stewart but allow me to add something..... lurker, you're in new york, save the 14' wheels for snow tires. mount a set of blizzaks or hakkepeliittas and run them in the winter on oe rims-you'll be happy you did.

Reply to
simpleton

I know its a typo, but the image a Talon with 14 foot wheels is mind boggling... Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The rims were on an 1998 Talon and fit mine perfectly. Question: Should I use conical lugnuts or do I need long-shank lugnuts.

PS Thanks for all the helpful info so far. Great info.

Reply to
Lurker

I would guess then that these are factory alloy wheels, so yes, you do need to long-shank nuts. Forget the junk you can get from Canadian Tire, the shank is the wrong size, and it has to fit the hole in the wheel. Go to the nearest Chrysler dealer and order a set of the correct nuts. They are about $6 each, and are good hard chrome.

Just be aware that if these are the factory alloy wheels, they have a history of bending easily, so do avoid holes and curbs if you can.

If you have the heavy as lead steel wheels, your existing nuts are fine.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS