94 Eclipse Exhaust

I want to replace the stock muffler with something less restrictive, but not loud. I prefer a soft mellow tune while crusing. Any suggestions?

TIA Gyz

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Turbo or non? Look for a cat back that's mandrel bent and 2.5". 3" works better on turbo cars but it's louder and sometimes drones. You might want to sniff around at tooners and talk

and search there. I know some of those poseurs have audio files of their exhaust sounds, which I always though was totally gay but in your case may be helpful in rooting out and excluding the stupid boy-racer fart can systems. On a turbo car this will get you a decent gain in performance but if you're naturally aspirated, spend your money on beer because it really won't make much difference.

Reply to
simpleton

My bet is this is a non-turbo and a ricer boy. He thinks a muffler makes power.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Simpleton,

Thanks for the links - they are just what I needed!

Sorry I didn't give some detail. I have a '94 5-sp FWD turbo that I am building up for 300 HP that will be my daily driver, not a race car. All of the exhaust systems I have seen so far have a single muffler, and I wonder how loud they are. Don't want that "wanabe" sound. Authority spoken softly conveys confidence.

To the other respondent: I feel so embarrassed for you.

Gyz

Reply to
Gyzmologist

The "muffler" ones are ricers that have non-turbos. That muffler crap is a honda thing. If you want to do a system look at the vfaq. It's old and out of date, but most of those are still sold.

Nobody U. Know

Ok, for what you're talking about, I would advise you look at 3" turbo-back and if it turns out too loud, add a bullet resonator before the muffler. My stuff is home made 3", 304 stainless with a Borla muffler and 4" tip painted flat black.. I tacked up a couple of bends and welded it together. You'll be able to find extreme DIY or a complete system. Avoid the Japanese stuff and the gay polished systems. Don't mind Nobody, his advise is solid.

Reply to
simpleton