94 Mitsubishi Diamante

I have a 94 Mitsubishi Diamante that smokes like crazy. I have tried using the no-smoke but that doesn't help much. I live in the Frisco area just north of Dallas Texas. Does anyone know a good mechanic that might be able to help? I got totally screwed by a mechanic in Prosper, Texas.

My son is stationed at Camp Lejeune and I want to take the car to him in October. He will only be driving it on weekends, but it would be a good car to drive local.

I paid 3,000 for the car but I have had a lot of work done to the car, new timing belt, tune up, water pump, alternater, fuel pump, brakes, etc....so I hate to sell the car because of the smoking. Well two tune-ups the first one by the mechanic in prosper, crowleys.

So any advice...?

Reply to
Susan

Sounds like it needs new rings, does the smoke is coming from the exhaust pipe all the time, or just when going thru ther gears and until the engine warms up. If there is smoke all the time, then the oil in your engine is going past the oil rings in your engine, being heated by the manifold and coming out of your tail pipe. A big job to some, easy to others. You can also remove a spark plug, and take off the coil lead and with a pressure guage wind the engine over and do a compression test, if need be, do all 4 cylinders. Once you have done that, if all the readings are low, then your rings are on the way out. I believe, the type of car here, is called a Mitsubishi Magna in Australia

Good luck

Peter Australia

Reply to
Peter

We use Dallas Precision Imports for any car repair. I highly recommend them. They are just south of main street, 1 block west side of Preston. Right beside NAPA. You can trust these guys and will not get ripped off.

Reply to
BigOleGoober

For several thousand dollars, you can get the smoke to stop. I don't think its worth it. If it smokes under acceleration and almost constantly while driving along, it is probably broken piston rings or worn piston rings. Sometimes a clogged PVC valve (very cheap) can cause similar problems, but since this item is usually replaced during a tune-up, I doubt if it is that. If it mainly smokes at idle and heavily after a loong downhill after you step on the gas, then it is most likely the valve seals and/or guides (still probably over $500).(not sure if there are any long downhills near Dallas) Oil is not that expensive. A good mechanic could probably tell what the problem is pretty quickly. If it was smoking when you had the tune-ups done, what did the mechanics say about it. Perhaps you should try one of the mechanics (the one you trust more) that did your tune-ups? Sorry, I can't recommend any mechanics in your area, but even a good gas station mechanic should be able to 'diagnose' your problem fairly cheaply and quickly.

Reply to
Buffalo