95 galant

i had the spark plugs replaced. would it make a difference if the plug wires were replaced or not? im trying to determine why the car runs rough on idle and around 40 to 50 mph. also i have a squealing belt, could this be related? thanks for your time.

Reply to
sput

Bad wires usually manifest themselves as roughness, more commonly missing under load. If they are the original, replacing them can't hurt. Squealing belt is either the alternator or the power steering pump. If new wires don't fix the problem, get a compression test.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Replace the ignition wires as normal maintenance if they are original equipment as the vehicle is now 11 or more years old! Also try dropping a bottle of some good fuel injector cleaner (I like Dupont Techron) in the tank as well since clogged injectors could very well cause your rough idle. Also clean the throttle body too as I suggested before since the choke blade/plate gets gummed up and does not close properly so causes rough idle or stalling at idle in extreme cases. Also make sure there are no vacuum leaks. These usually cause the idle to be slightly higher than normal, but can also cause it to be rough as well.

None of what is suggested should be very difficult to do or expensive for that matter either.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

hi, about the car running rough,im so frustrated as to where to start as i do not have the finances and im hoping to get the galant fixed w/out paying outrageous amounts. to get help is like pulling teeth as i do not know any true mechanics. im going to start with the fuel injector cleaner (dupont techtron) then the belts as there is some sqealing sound. then the plug wires, which comes to my question as how important it might be to change wires as well as the plugs. also what is a cam belt? thanks

Reply to
sput

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:03:20 -0400, against all advice, something compelled "sput" , to say:

The timing belt (cam belt) connects the camshaft(s) to the crankshaft, and maintains a spatial relationship between the tops of the pistons and the bottoms of the valves. When the timing belt breaks, this spatial relationship is dissolved, and shortly thereafter, so are the pistons and valves. Mechanics call this "serious motor damage".

Mitsubishi recommends a new one every sixty thousand miles. I just had it replaced in my Diamonte. The mechanic said it was original equipment, and the car had 112,xxx miles on it then. It looked like it was in good shape to me, but I wanted the peace of mind of knowing it wasn't going to immanently fail and leave me stranded with a seriously damaged motor.

I had a complete tune-up, replaced the accessory and timing belts, the water pump, plug wires and plugs, cap, rotor, etc., and spent about $1350 on it all. And yes, that is a lot of money, but I'm confident that with regular maintenance it will run another hundred thousand miles.

I'd recommend getting the timing belt professionally assessed. The problem with that is that by the time they tear the motor down far enough to do that, you might as well just go all the way and replace the thing.

What you might want to do is get the symptom (runs rough) professionally evaluated. A mechanic ought to be able to tell you what is wrong, and give you an estimate for how much it will cost to fix. It might not be as bad as you think.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

whats your problem? why was i left a message that i posted against all advice and was compelled to say:............. i will not be using this auto help again. you are rude

Reply to
sput

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:45:56 -0400, against all advice, something compelled "sput" , to say:

That's called an attribution line, and it goes in every post I make. Don't take it personally. The advice I left was sound, and carries my personal triple your money back guarantee.

Reply to
Steve Daniels