95 Mirage death smoke - please help

Hey guys, I just found this group and I would like to ask your advice on a problem my friend is having. We're in different cities right now, so this is second hand information. . .

He has filled his coolant resevoir up in the past few days, so he

*should* be good there. But today, his water temperature gauge shot up all the way to the top. He is blowing smoke out of the tailpipes even at a standstill. He is getting warm but not hot air from his heater.

I suspect the head gasket is blown (I'm waiting to hear back about the status of his oil and whether or not it looks like Yoohoo). So I need a general idea of what would be involved in replacing this. I'm no stranger to auto repair, I've gotten plenty of wrenching done on my car. However, my car is a 1990 Mustang GT. I've never pulled apart an engine like this before, so I wanted to know what all is involved. Will all the accessories have to come off? What about the camshaft + timing belt/chain? Will I have to remove the timing belt along with both gears/pulleys in order to lift the head off? Etc....

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hmm, they called back and said the oil isn't fouled and the coolant is continuously dripping on the ground. Too dark outside for specifics.

I'm not ruling out head gasket trouble yet, based on the amount of smoke described, but are there any other common Mirage problems this reminds you of?

Thanks again,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike,

I am not familiar to what engine is in the Mirage however with the continual smoke it reads as if the head gasket failed, the head warpped or possiby cracked. Prior to my Montero all the engines I had worked on were primarily USA, the one area of advise I'll give you is to pick up a manual something such as a Chilton's. It is my experience the japanese manufacturers tend to use more component the american manufacturers, neither right or wrong, just a different approach. U.S manufacturers seem to use larger casting with more internal cast components whereas the japanese cars seem to use smaller components but more of them. Assuming an overhead cam you'll need to tear down the front of the engine to remove the timing componenets.

Before doing anything though I'd get the engine to operating temp, remove the plugs, ground out the coil and try a compression test; if it is a gasket or cracked head it should show. Also if it is a blown head gasket be certain to check the head for any warping.

Good luck

90 M> Hmm, they called back and said the oil isn't fouled and the coolant is
Reply to
90 Montero