96 Eclipse idle speed quirky

96 Eclipse RS, 2.0 4cyl, auto, 139k, recent plugs, wires and air filter. Had car act up last week where it started chugging and running ragged at 30-40 mph after driving fine for a couple hours. Turned car off, checked under hood, started back up, runs OK but now the idle will go up to 1500+ rpm from about 800rpm. When driving it feels like the engine stays at that rpm when going down thru the gears when slowing down, kinds bucks a bit at each gear. Checked the TPS and IAC as per Haynes manual, they are within specs. Any suggestions?

Sam

Reply to
scajjr2

Sounds like un-metered air. When my car (thankfully NOT a Mitshitty) gets up to that kind of funny business it invariably turns out to be a vacuum leak. You may have dislodged/split/damaged a rubber hose when you changed the consumables.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Bhagat is not always right (it's an euphemism), but in this case I agree with him. Check ISC and air intake control unit. On the AIC check also the silencer, which might be crushed, reducing air intake..

a good throttle cleaning and a check of intake system should fix the situation.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea Zambelli

Some people's interest in Mitsubishy is due to pride of ownership.

My interest is a little bit more eccentric. I am particularly fond of the

1960s English 4 cylinder era - cars like the Austin 1800, Morris 1100, Mini 850, Morris Minor, Austin Cambridge and their ilk.

That period in automobile history is interesting because all of those models and brands have long since departed. They were beaten by complacency, bad management, poor quality and severely retarded marketing concepts. These are comparable attributes to what we come to know and experience from our little mates from Tokyo.

I see Mitsubishi as a re-run of this period of automobile history. We should all turn up the sound magnification and watch this show.

They will end up as fading ripples in the automotive pond. Hyundai will displace many Mitsubishi sales in the future. The shitty crown will then pass on to Hyundai in all likelihood.

Seriously now, MMC's only real hope is to sell to an Indian or Chinese auto maker.

The Malaysians proved that you can indeed polish Mitsu turds. They may have even improved on quality somewhat through better casting and alloys then Mitsu.

I am thinking that perhaps an Indian company would do a better job of this polishing than a Chinese company. An Indian company would not put lead in their paint that is for sure.

Gracious thanking you.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

others, like me, bought a pre-owned Mitsu and look forward to fix it and restore it (the previous owner was terrible). I bought it for almost nothing and I fix it step by step: with this money I could buy no other car with 150 hp and good performances. No pride of ownership, just enjoying performance and light do-it-yourself tuning.

Indeed my old Jaguar xj6 was definitely better but a 3200 cc was too big for

2 km/day running so I sold it to a british car enthusiast.

I owned a Hyundai Pony/excel and I found it a good car despite its lethargic

1300 cc engine. Actually all my friends who bought a Hyundai are absolutely satisfied.

Also Polish cars can be good. Can a Polish company polish Illinois cars? I polished my own DSM and it looks quite better. What about compounding?

LOL

Reply to
Andrea Zambelli

My guess is the fuel pump. Since it is a DC motor I'm sure it has brushes, and the brushes are probably worn out.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

That would not explain the rising RPM. There is no way that a faulty fuel pump would do that. A faulty fuel pump would have trouble delivering enough fuel to get the car moving, in the event it was delivering too much fuel then the return from the FPR would just dump it back in the tank.

It could be a bad FPR though (if the diagphragm has an air leak).

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Reply to
Gyzmologist