97 Spyder AC

I recently repaired the AC on a 97 Spyder. The liquid line had a hole corroded in it about 8" East of the battery. (8" to the right, in a bend on the firewall). I replaced the liquid line, evacuated the system for ~60 minutes, and let it sit for ~30 minutes. It held 29" of vacuum. I charged the system and it worked great. A week later, I had the car for another problem and the AC worked perfectly. Now, 4 weeks later, the AC is dead. The system charge is Zero. 0psi. No fluctuation with temperature, just NADA. That sounds like a big leak. Easy to find, right? Nope. I pull a 28"vacuum and it holds for an hour. (I'm not more patient than that). On the previous repair, I injected UV dye into the system. There is no trace of UV dye anywhere. (Even in the evaporator drain, before you ask. )

I'm suspecting the compressor shaft seal. They usually don't reveal dye unless they are leaking pretty bad. Any thoughts or opinions? Experience is very welcome!!

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Did you replace the oil in the system before you recharged it? The corrosion hole likely took most of the oil with it when the charge leaked out. Low or no oil will destroy compressor seals very quickly.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Yep. It was flushed, new oil, new dryer...

Reply to
Tom Adkins