98 Mits Eclipes. Replaced battery, now break, oil and engine lights stay on...

I replaced the battery in my 98 Spider GS, and now when I turn the key on the battery, oil and engine lights will not go off. The engine turns over, but the car won't start.

Looking at my battery connections, I do have a question (that may qualify me for the dumb a@@ of the year award...) There is a wire coming from an in- line fuse holded that is mounted on the bulkhead behind the battery. This wire is laced out so it LOOKs like it should connect to the positve batter terminal. However, the hole size of the connector is much bigger then then bolt on the battery terminal, and bigger then the other 2 wires that also slide onto this bolt. Does this wire really go to the positive terminal? (It was dark when I pulled the battery out, and didn't give it much thought... done this many times over the years.) If it does go to the positive terminal, which make sense since it's going to t fuse, what else could be my problem? I should point out the car has sat for 8 months without being started.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Thomas N via CarKB.com

"Thomas N via CarKB.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com:

At face value, your problem still seems consistent with a bad battery. But since you just replaced the battery and it's still not starting, my belief is you have a bad starter, hence the reason your car still won't start.

As for the wire coming from an in-line fuse holder, it sounds like you have an aftermarket audio system installed in the car. If it's what I think it is, it's a fairly fat wire that is routed to a distribution block or an amplifier for an audio system.

The fact the car has sat 8 months also gives something else to consider: you should change your plugs and wires. The car also might not be starting due to insufficient (or lack of) sparks from the plugs or the spark plug wires. Otherwise, your problem could also be in the fuel delivery system (faulty fuel pump?).

The starter is an easy fix, if that is the cause. I'd at least remove it and have it bench tested at a local auto parts store. The starter is a cylinder-shaped part with a couple of wires hooking up to it. It should be mounted on the side of your engine block where it meets up with the bell housing (where your flywheel and clutch or torque converter sit). Oh yeah, make sure you disconnect the battery negative cable before you do this. You don't want active starter wires to touch.

Reply to
Scott Zane