99 Galant Steering question

Hello all.

When turning the car, there's a slight back and forth jiggle on the steering wheel. It's almost like the tires are out of balance. I have new tires on the car, and I know the mechanic that put them on. So I trust it's not the tires. Besides, the problem was there before the tires were put on, but at the time, I suspected it was a tire issue.

Also, when I first start the car in the AM, and put the car in drive, there's kind of a groaning noise coming from the engine area. The RPM's of course are still higher than normal at this point because the engine isn't fully warm. I hear the same thing when I put the car in reverse and have to turn the wheel. After the car warms up, the groan is not present.

Is this a power steering issue? A rack issue? Or possibly both?

Reply to
Doug

Not quite enough info for a diagnosis THIS way ~ If you hold the car in a constant turn, low speed (holding the steering wheel still), are you saying the steering wheel wobbles?

If so, suspect a bent road wheel, or a binding in one of the outer C.V. joints.

Lift the front wheels clear of the ground, and have an assistant "drive" the car in 1st gear, while you observe the tire tread and wheel rim ~

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

Outer CV wear usually shows first as a vibration, later clicking when turning. INNER CV wear (usually binding) is the cause of the wobble in the steering wheel. You can check with the wheels off the road. If there's more than about 2mm of rotational slop in the inner CV vs the axle, replace the whole drive shaft with a rebuilt unit.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS