Air adjustable shocks for 91 Montero?

Hello group:

I have a 1991 Mitubishi Montero LS 4x4. Recently I took the family camping which involved loading the cargo compartments, filling a good size roof carrier, and putting 3 bicycles on a carrier on the spare tire. When loaded, I found we were bottoming out on the stops on the rear suspension while on rough coastal roads here in Oregon. As I hope to eventually add a tow package to this truck I was hoping someone could offer advise on the addition of air adjustable shocks as opposed to a heavy duty shock. I am hoping to avoid the ultra stiff ride with daily driving, but have the support that is needed while loaded or while towing. Thanks in advance

I've seen some folks use the inside the coil air bags. You can add air as the load increases. Have you posted your question over on

mg

Thats right here in Australia you can buy a kit of 2 red type heavy duty air bags that fit inside the existing springs, you then run a heavy duty hollow plastic tubing to a air filling unit that can be increased at any service station or from a home air compressor. The cost varies from car to car but the base kit is about 350.00

Hope i helped

Reply to
Peter