Air Bleeding

Hello all

Can anyone please give me a tip on how to bleed the air out of the cooling system on a 1990 1800cc Spacewagon (UK)? I have drained the radiator and changed the thermostat but I think there is still some air in there as the heater does not get as hot as before (the old thermostat packed in).

Reply to
Dave Capel

Dont need to stress this is boiling water and you have to proceed with caution Cut off the bottom of a plastic soft drink bottle,Then wrap some tape around the neck ,so that it fits snugly in the radiator filling hole. Fit it , Then fill it with antifreeze-mix and start the engine , You should see air bubbles coming out and the fluid decreasing as the enginewarms up. Finaly ,when the engine is hot ,and the thermostat has opened (radiator hot) increase to 2000 rpm ,and whille at this speed take off the bottle and put on the radiator cap. (this will press in more coolant) Dont forget to fill the expansion tank up to the mark,

.
Reply to
jonny

Thanks jonny

I'll give that a try this weekend.

Reply to
Dave Capel

Can you verify that the new stat is the correct heat range?

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Yes 88° confirmed by dealer