air/fuel meter

I am trying to troubleshoot a CEL light that comes on from time to time staying on for a week then going off. What I notice is that the air/fuel guage stays lean for a long time (abnormal) then after the car is running for a while it will toggle back and forth (normal). My question is:

when the lights indicate lean, does this mean that the ecu is detecting more gas? Also, when it goes green or rich does it mean it is running more air. WOT the light is green so I would assume that indicates rich.

I am just trying to use this meter to help direct me toward the failing sensor.

THX...

Reply to
LWG

Dont know what type of vehicle you have but mine does the same thing. It was my O2 sensor on my CAT that set it off. After the car goes 3 good cycles it clears the CEL light. Exhaust system or high flow CAT seems to enhance the effect ;-)

Reply to
Techy Guy

I have an 2nd gen awd talon. It seems to come and go. I did not want to take it to the dealership. Thought I would check the net to see if anyone had any ideas.

Reply to
LWG

Reply to
simpleton

Nothing captured. I would be interested in a logger. However, I need a pda. Would you happen to know the best logging software and pda combination, I think I will get one. Oh, is the 96 Eagle Talon compliant with the ODBII? I was reading some conflicting info on that.

Thx,...

Reply to
LWG

Another question. Could you tell me everything I need to get this Data logger setup. What I need to know is other that a compatible pda, software, cables and where to buy. I appreciate it...

Reply to
LWG

I use autotap for my 97 eclipse. I have the laptop version, but they also make a PDA version. I got it at

it also works on my fiance's jetta, and all my friends OBDII cars.

Reply to
Luke

Hey, I've been looking at that model too. Does it display all the Mitsu codes above P1000, these are the Mitsu specific codes. Does it also allow you to set test parameters (besides just resetting the MIL). In other words can you put the OBDII into a diagnostic mode to perform specific functions and or tests that are described in the service manual. Sorry to jump on you like this, but your the first person I've come across having one of these scan tools, that didn't work for Autotap.

Nirodac

Reply to
Nirodac

As far as the Mitsu specific codes I'm not 100% sure. Becuase it is a generic import reader, I would say probably not. As far as running tests you can do that. You can even record how your car is running. When I run my car at the track, I have it record my RPM, manifold pressure, my timing etc. I can then replay it and see what I can change to get a little better on my time. However, becuase it is the generic version that runs for imports, some of the features don't work at all. You have to know what your car has or the software will lock up, like if you want to look at the readings from the third O2 sensor, my car doesn't have one and so it causes the program to lock up, but if you read the 1st or second one, works like a champ. I really like the Autotap, it's saved my a couple trips to the garage becuase of a CEL the was saying my cat was bad (I run a straight pipe so the second O2 sensor reads really high saying I need a new Cat) plus it's a great tool to use if you think the car is acting wrong, you can run around the block and have it record all the sensors and replay them to see what is messing up. Hope this helps you out.

Reply to
Luke

Most any auto parts store will pull the CEL code for free in about two minutes. That'd be easier than doing a logger. It's probably just a dying O2 sensor anyway.

Reply to
Brad

Thanks for the reply. Got some good tips. I'm afraid you might be right about the codes above P1000 (from reading the info at their site). I would bet that Autotap has a software upgrade for the lockup issue. Sounds like something that they need to fix. I sort of favour this model also.

Thanks Again

Nirodac.

Reply to
Nirodac