alternator problems

I have a Mitsubishi Chariot 2L diesel automatic. When I start her up, moreso when cold, alternator makes rattling/squeaking noise & stops charging, so I'm assuming that the alternator is on its way out. Is there an alternative alterrnator that can be fitted or is this possibly something other than alternator problems. Also how hard is it to change alternators? Many thanks in advance

Reply to
Lockie

rattling/squeaking

Can't help with a different alternator, but did you check the belt = condition & tension, and connections? I once had an alternate diagnosed = by 2 mechanics as the problem and turned out it was bad connections at = the battery. Put the meter directly on the terminals at alternator and = not on the clamps or wires. Same for the battery. Just an idea.

Reply to
Guv Bob