Antenna 91 3000 GTSL

1991 3000GTSL. The antenna will not go down. I cannot even force it down. The motor seems fine .. turns on and off with the radio being turned on and off.

I suspect the "tail" has broken off or come loose. The dealer wants $175 to repair it. They sell the antenna for $57.00.

Is this an easy job? Can I do it myself? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Norm

Reply to
NSN

This is a follow up to my message above. Using the manual on CD I was able to remove the antenna. It appears that the nylon cable broke off about an inch or two from the bottom. This is just a guess. I suspect that the broken portion is within the gear/motor housing. With the radio on and the motor "extended" I cannot see any nylon cable protruding from the housing. So .. if I am correct how do I remove the broken portion of the cable that is within the housing? Once that is done, replacing the antenna with a new one should be no problem.

Thanks. Norm

Reply to
NSN

I'm not 100% sure with your antenna, but on my '88 Starion, the housing coming apart and you can remove the broken piece. My Starion antenna housing appeared to have worn and wouldn't grab the new whip very well. I ended up finding a good used one.

Before buy>

Reply to
Richie Rich

I replaced the antenna 91 sl jst 3 weeks ago. Not hard at all. The worse part was removing the plastic interior panels in the back and keeping the screws together. 3SX in Charlotte NC..has the OEM masts in stock for about