Best performance quieter muffler ???

I just bought an 04 Galant 4 cyl. and was wondering if anybody knows of a good performance, in a budget/not too loud muffler??? This is my first 4 cyliner car I've owned and I've heard some real loud mufflers on the road that sound like a bumble bee. I dont like that, I want a mellow quieter sound that could give me a little more power and fuel efficiency than my stock muffler. Thanks.

Reply to
rcjesse

rcjesse ha scritto:

well, to improve performances with a reasonable cost and stay within the law you can:

1- use a K&N (or similar) air filter, either a replacement or a fresh-air kit. this will improve throttle response, mileage and performances (10-15%) 2- substitute the standard catalysator with a racing unit, provided it's homologated for road use. you'll gain another 10% and have a better sound, this will also lower the max torque rpm improving driving pleasure.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

Changing out the muffler with have almost no effect on performance. Your Galant comes with a quiet and long lasting system that is a bit restrictive but yours is a naturally aspirated car and you're really not flowing that much exhaust, so the restriction is not much of an issue. To improve noticably, a catalyst back system could be fitted but it is doubtful that you'll find one for the Galant . Check with local muffler shops and see about having a system fabricated if you wish. Do not go any larger that 2.5" and keep the tip at the end of the muffler on the small side. Again, it is very doubtful that you make much headway towards your goals of increased power and fuel efficiency with this modification.

Exhaust modifications are popular and effective on the turbo Mitsu's because when you fit a larger turbo or turn up boost pressure, there is a large increase of airflow through the engine. For naturally aspirated cars, there is no such airflow increase.

Reply to
simpleton