biggest engine swap possible

hi, just to cover the basics. i am gettin to really like cars, and wanting to expand my knowledge on cars. a project i am currently wanting to do is put the biggest full power engine into my 98 eclipse gs, i am wanting all power from the engine without a turbo, does anyone know of an engine that would fit and have some hp behind it?

Reply to
eclipse98

ya i currently have the stock 420A engine, and was told that for goin to swap an engine i should do the 4G63 engine along with a turbo. does anyone know where to pick up one for a lil less than $2100

Reply to
eclipse98

Why on earth would you spend one dime on this stock piece of sh*t? Even if you put a decent engine in it, this generation of Eclipses are bound to have catastrophic failures such as brakes, transmissions and sheet metal. If yer gettin to like cars, try a better brand, Mitsu = POS.

Reply to
John D. Truthinator

I agree, a guy on DSMTUNERS just bragged about 600 hp on a stock bottom end. Generally it is accepted that stock the engines are good for 400 hp, much more and you should be changing rods and pistons.

Try ebay, they periodically come up where someone is parting out a whole car. You will also have to swap out your computer, on ebay search "eclipse engine", you may find an engine/ecu/tranny combo for under $2500.

Also check DSMTUNER.com - check out regional, tech and classified sections.

Reply to
john

Bhagat Gurtu why did you change your handle???? Same shit different day

Reply to
john

Hey man! That person wasn't me - but I do agree with him wholeheartedly. Check the IP headers - that wise person isn't me!.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not the poster you referred to.

Same shit different day sounds like the story of my 98 Eclipse. Blown engine despite proper maintenance, bad brakes, awful dealers, no warranty support. Sorry to disappoint, but Mitsu = POS. The only thing worse than a Korean car, in my opinion, is a piece of sh*t Mitsubishi which poses as a Japanese car but in fact was manufactured by a really god awful failing division of Chrysler somewhere in Illinois. As to later generations of Sh*tsubishis, well, maybe they're better than the 98s were, but the OP is stuck with a piece of junk and would be better off investing in the subprime mortgage market than sinking one red cent into the crapload that he already owns.

Reply to
John D. Truthinator

No, I am a former Mitsu POS owner. And you're a spammer.

What did you make for dinner, Andrea? Get back in the kitchen.

Reply to
John D. Truthinator

Thank you for the compliment. I see I am not the only one who has had issues with this POS brand. And for the record, after I sold my 98 after repeated failures, I stopped researching Mitsus. Maybe they have gotten better, I don't know. But when I see a post about the 98s, well, as one who has been there, I feel compelled to relate what I believe to be the most unsatisfactory auto experience of a life which has involved a dozen owned vehicles.

People need to know the truth. I wish I did not have to bear it.

Reply to
John D. Truthinator

No car is perfect. I owned a AUDI that was a POS, a Nissan that was a POS, two Fords that were a POS, an AMC that was a POS. I have owned TWO Volvo's that were fine until they were off of warantee and then started to bleed me to death - POS. The best cars that I have owned were a diesel VW Jetta, 250K with no problems, and a Toyota T100, 150K only part replaced - a starter.

I have owned three Mitsubishi's and have not had any problems with them. EVO's are regularly built to 600-800HP, not too many other four bangers that you can do that with.

If you are taking on a hobbie of building cars you will lose money - but this goes with all manufactures. (except maybe old muscle cars, but that market is probably at its top right now)

Reply to
john

John,

Based on the data points you've provided, I gather that either:

A. You have incredibly bad luck with cars B. You trade your vehicles very frequently or are responsible for a fleet C. You drive a lot of miles over extremely rough and rugged terrain D. You don't properly maintain your cars

I trust it is not "D" and if it is A, then I hope that your luck changes.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob:

Thank you for your simplistic and incredibly naive view of the world, but try adding another variable.

E. I maintain my cars properly, including all scheduled and preventive maintenance. I am a private vehicle owner.

I have had comparatively minor or no problems with, in order of ownership from age 19:

Toyota Celica GT, 140,000 miles Ford Escort LX, 88,000 miles (lucky, I know) VW Passat GLS 89,000 miles VW Jetta GL, 139,000 miles Subaru Forester S, 110,000 miles

The Mitsubishi started blowing parts under warranty, continued to blow them after warranty and died with 58K on its record. Furthermore, more than

600,000 98 Eclipses have been recalled or diagnosed with steering and other failures. They are pieces of shit. I know, you're not likely to be swayed by truth given your obvious bias, but it has to be put out there so thinking people can make educated decisions in the future. The 98 Eclipse is a Neon with snazzy design. The Neon is a piece of shit. The Eclipse is it's prettier but equally bad-charactered sister.
Reply to
John D. Truthinator

You forgot a couple other variables - age and marital status, some of the cars were my wifes.

All cars were properly maintained, some of them were bought used.

we drove 70 mile one way to work for 5 years so put a lot of miles on vehicles.

Reply to
john

Then you also get people that buy a tuner, they start adding parts like their buddie did but with disastrously different results. Of course then it's the cars fault

Reply to
John Carter

LOL absolutely correct! The most common mistake is to add a large turbo and crank up the boost without monitoring your engine. When they blow the engine its all because the car is a POS....

Reply to
john