Cam gear timing mark 2.4L SOHC, timing belt replacement, 96 Galant S

Where is the correct cam gear timing mark on this engine?

I recently had the timing belt break on my '96 Galant 2.4L SOHC engine. The engine has 180K miles on it, but was running great. I'm trying to install a new timing belt (and balancer belt) but I'm having trouble aligning the cam gear timing mark to the timing mark on the cylinder head. All other timing marks are aligned and the #1 piston is on TDC of compression stroke. None of the instructions I have show the timing mark for the cam gear very clearly. There appears to be an arrow shaped casting on the head that is right at the top edge of the head on the right side of the cam gear (facing front of engine). When I try to put the cam in this position it is very difficult, and it appears that the intake valves of #4 are opening and hitting the piston. I don't want to apply too much pressure for fear of damaging something in the valve train. Am I looking at the wrong mark on the head? The timing mark on the cam gear is painted white. I removed the head and had a complete valve job done. No valves were bent even tho this is an interference engine. It was running at an idle when the belt broke. This is the first time I have come across balance shafts on a car engine. I used to be a John Deere tractor mechanic and I know many of their 4 cyl. engines had gear driven balance shafts. Anyone have good pictures or illustrations from a service manual for the cam gear timing?

Don

Reply to
donh

grease monkey

Looking in my workshop manual...

The timing mark on the cam sprocket is found almost lined up with the lock tang on the cam. The sprocket timing mark is then lined up with the mark on the top of the head. ie the sprocket timing mark is at the top of the sprocket. All other things being correct, the cam belt tensioner can then be released.

If you have not ABSOLUTELY done the balance belt alignment AND the oil pump alignment properly, the engine will run, but there will be a strong (possibly loud) vibration at about 2500 rpm. A simple rev of the engine will verify this. I've heard mechanics who should know better justify this vibration as "exhaust rattle" ... This rattle can be enough to cause the oil filter to fall off if you leave it.

In other words, make sure the engine revs smoothly before you replace the cam belt cover and the external belts.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS