Car won't start ?

Like a lot of British engineering, it is a neat idea, but it needed the Japanese to make it work right (or find a better way).

They were inclined to stick, and in the end a modern pre-engaged starter is just a better answer.

Morris Minors had a starter switch which just pulled a plate across a pair of contacts. No relay whatsoever. Early Minis had a similar device, looked like a doorstop, beside the driver's seat, which pushed the plate across contacts.

Reply to
Graham W

Never suggested it was, it's a valuable *diagnostic* tool though.

I fix a starter to a servicable condition with whatever parts it

Shame if it's an electro-mechanical fault that can't be diagnosed with a multimeter.

Shame that you don't use all available tools to your advantage especially when it come to diagnosis because all top tradespeople do.

Reply to
Clockmeister

That's why I listed those in the things to check before mentioning the hammer. Ofcourse you check everything else first.

I find most mechanics are quite thick

Sparky's are quite thick when it comes to mechanical things, apparantly ;-)

Not saying you are of course Clocky, but

Like I said, I advised him to check everything else first, but failing that a tap with a hammer can diagnose an electro-mechanical fault quickly and easily.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Allow me to quote myself...

"Make sure the park/neutral switch is working properly by wiggling the selector whilst holding the they to crank to see if there is a response.

If that isn't the problem, it sounds like the starter motor may be U/S but check the fuses and fuseable links, relays (there may be one for the starter that you can swap temporarily with the horn one or similar) and check that the wires to the starter motor are secure, especially the small one.

If there is a relay, you can check for a crank signal input/output pretty easily with a testlight to confirm that the ignition crank position is producing an output to the starter via the relay.

Also, have you checked your oil lately and can you turn the motor by hand/spanner?

Failing that, give the starter motor a solid tap with a hammer and try again.

Regards,

Clockmeister."

I think we all understand that, but that doesn't take away the fact that is is a valuable diagnostic tool.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Yeah, it does have an h :-)

Reply to