Chariot/Galant electrical problem

Good morning world,

I have a Mitusubishi Chariot build around 1995 which has ro relays attached to the positive battery terminal, one being market as "Fan relay 40 Amp's" the other as "Glow Plug relay

80 Amps".

Now, while I can understand the circuit now, I have problems to understand how those 2 "relays" work.

They are three wire devices, but have only two contacts, I can see no contacts for a coil etc. can somebody tell me how these relays work ? Are they perhaps solid state ?

Your help and guidance is much appreciated ?

Kind regards

Al:

Reply to
mhs

I am not familiar with your particular vehicle, but a three wire, two contact device is not uncommon. (Since you indicate there are contacts, I doubt it is a solid state relay.)

I would suggest that one wire is to control/energize the solenoid, while the other two, probably heavier gauge wire , would be to each of the contacts so therefore carry the heavier current to the load.

The return path for the current to energize the solenoid is usually through the vehicle's chassis/ground. If there is a metal mounting bracket secured by a metal bolt or screw, then check the resistance from that mounting bracket to each of the wires to determine which is the solenoid control wire.

Good luck with resolving whatever your problem is with the vehicle.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

"Bob Shuman" wrote in news:6qz6j.69425$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

Are you sure they are not the FUSES that feed the relays in question. If you have a voltmeter you can measure the input and output of these "relays" to see if they switch on or off when the engine is running.

Reply to
Nirodac

innews:6qz6j.69425$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

Thanks Bob,

I must have been partial blind, when I removed the burned out relay ... off course now I can see clearly again. I was looking for a copper bar for the return path and nor a bit of rosted iron plate as I had found.

Thank you for taking your time to explain the matter to me in detail.

Your help is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Al:

Reply to
Al

innews:6qz6j.69425$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

Hi Nirodac,

Thanks for taking your time to reply to my request, all is now best understood .

Many thanks

Kind regards

Al:

Reply to