Clunky/notchy F5M42 transmission

Hi

I have a 1995 Mitsubishi FTO (front-drive sports car with 2.0l V6 engine). It uses the F5M42 five-speed manual transmission, as used on many other Mitsubishi cars.

The car has only covered 20,000 miles before I bought it and generally is in excellent condition. I have one problem in that the gearshift

1-2 and 2-3 is very notchy. 2-3 grinds if I shift quickly; its OK if I pause in neutral for a second. Strangly, I can do a fast 4-3 downshift with no problems at all. Shifting 2-1 is very difficult unless the car is stationary.

I have chnaged the transmission fluid to Redline MT90, but it is no better.

Any suggestions for improving my gearshift performance, short of pulling the 'box apart for new synchros?

Reply to
Microstar

Improper clutch release is the main cause of notchiness other than synchro wear. There's a freeplay adjustment on the shaft that goes into the clutch master. Pedal freeplay should be about 5mm before the master cylinder starts to move. Make sure the slave cylinder is not leaking. Make sure its the correct diameter. If the slave should be a 13/16" and has been replaced with a 7/8", the clutch won't release properly.

If the car really has done only 20,000, and the above does not solve the problem, I'd suspect its been abused. In any case, you're facing at the very least, dropping the transmission to inspect the clutch (which may be the problem) and looking at and maybe replacing the synchros.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

I am not familiar with your exact application, but I had similar symptoms when my clutch master cylinder was bad. If you have a hydraulic clutch, I'd look into it.

Reply to
Richie Rich

generally

gearshift

downshift

The clutch cylinder advice is VERY good!

Reply to
Outlander