Clutch bleed problem

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder on my 91 Dodge Stealth. Is there some magical way to bleed it? I can't get it to the point of having a firm pedal. Thanks! Brian

It is a two person job unless you get a speed bleeder (highly recommended). The procedure is to pump it up (by hand if you have to) as much as you can. The press the pedal all the way down and hold. Turn the bleeder for a spurt, close, repeat.

If you are doing the same, you may have a hole in the clutch line. It should be visible, however. If this isn't the problem, you may have a bent shift fork which isn't too uncommon with an aftermarket, heavy clutches (on DSMs).

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Sounds like what I was trying - though I'm not sure how you "pump up" a clutch. There is no sign of any other leak. I may have to get a speed bleeder... How would a bent shift fork affect clutch feel? The clutch was fine before (except it was leaking around the piston in the slave cylinder). I would add fluid, and the clutch would be fine - for a while. I replaced the slave cylinder, and can't get a firm pedal again. Brian

recommended).

The hydrolic line is the same as a brake line. You will have to grab the clutch pedal with your hand and pump it several times. This will move air to the lines. It will be mushy...to say the least. While you are pumping you may need to have someone open on the down stroke to get the air out. You should be able to feel the pressure change after a while...and I mean I lot of pumping. It's a simple pump, pump, pump, pump, hold, open, close, pump operation. It takes quite a bit more than you'd think. I've done it, but it's not that hard.

That is very likely your problem. Bent forks are very rare and I've never heard of it on a stock GT.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

"Nobody U. Know" wrote in news:mItpe.23313$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

I did it using a piece of wood between the pedal and the lower part of the instrument cluster.

1:Fill-up the fluid-container for the clutch. 2:Pump the clutch-pedal 10-20 times and keep it depressed with the wood- piece. 3:Go down under, release the air-valve (remember to collect the spill), tighten air-valve again. 4:Back to 1: and go on until ALL air is gone (on my car, it took about 10 iterations).

kind regards snipped-for-privacy@THISnethotel.dk in Denmark

Reply to
Flemming V. Mortensen [5492]