Clutch problems?

Hi... I own a 96 Eclipse RS... recently the clutch pedal has been a lot looser (less resistance while I press it). In the last few days, my gears have been nearly impossible to get into when I first get into my car. Reverse takes me 2 or 3 minutes before I can get into gear, then another minute or so to get into 1st. As I drive though it seems fine after a few miles. Problem is that all my car trips are under a few miles. Anyway, I want to know if this is a clutch problem or a transmission problem. I have not smelled anything odd, and have been getting excellent gas mileage lately. Please let me know ASAP because I have a few days off and want to get this taken care of before rush hour traffic this week!

Tom mrtommytcd at yahoo dot com

Reply to
TD

Hopefully its only the slave cylinder (front side of the transmission) leaking. If there's fluid on the outside, just put a new on in and blead the system.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
simpleton

Clutch master cylinder or bad pressure plate. I'd say bad cylinder first. There is a rebuild kit.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Ok, so this morning I got a ride to Pep Boys and picked up some clutch fluid since mine was totally empty. I filled it to the full line and it started getting better immediately. However, still not 100%. Nowhere near, actually. I checked under the dash and all around and saw no evidence of a leak... what do you say?

Reply to
TD

It may still be leaking from the master or slave cylinder. The clutch master is beside the brake cylinder and the slave is at the transmission.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

You may need to bleed the system. There's probably air in the slave cylinder.

Reply to
Mike