Dash Lights on 1990 Civic DX

The dashlights don't work at all. The warning lights and the high/low beam lights work fine. The dashlight dimmer switch (roller type) doesn't do anything. I would appreciate some ideas. It is a friends car that I just started driving due to my car being repaired. I cannot see the speedometer at night. Thanks, Buffalo

Reply to
Buffalo

Hi It's probably a blown fuse, but don't know where the fuses are on that model. Owners manual might help.

Else its a poor connection, loose connector.

cheers, Dex

Buffalo wrote:

Reply to
Dex

Thanks, I checked the fuses, at least the ones I could find and they are all good. As you probably figured out, I meant the high beam 'indicator' dash light was working as well as the other warning indicator lights in the dash, as they are most likely on a different circuit than the dash instrument lights which are probably totally controlled by the dimmer (roller0 switch. I will see how difficult it is to remove that switch to see if it is getting power.

Anyone else have any other good ideas? Thanks in advance, Buffalo

Reply to
Buffalo

Why not just pop the gauge cluster out and replace the burned out bulbs...

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I'll look at that and, if I can't figure out how to get that cluster out, I'll try to find a manual to see how to do it. Any suggestions on how to remove the cluster? Thanks for your input. Buffalo

Reply to
Buffalo

The bulbs were OK, and there is voltage to the bulbs, but no ground to the bulbs. Does the cluster light dimmer (roller) go directly to the car ground? It seems to be difficult to get the dimmer roller out of the dash.

Any ideas on how to get that switch out?

Buffalo

Reply to
Buffalo

Hi, It's unlikely that all the dash bulbs are blown! They are not usually wired in series.

The light dimmer potentiometer is the most likely suspect and would be wired to ground.

The connector on the back may be loose or corroded. The potentiometer may be open circuit.

Shorting the potentiometer out will provide full brightness to the dash lights assuming there is no other break in the ground wiring from the dimmer.

cheers,

Dex

Buffalo wrote:

Reply to