Delica Headlight problem

Hi all, I have just joined this group today.

I have a 1988 Mitsubishi Delica 4WD Van, manual 5 speed, petrol, 2 Litre.

I'm having a headlight problem. When I turn the headlights on to normal (low beam), the outer lamps come on just fine. But when I either "flash" the high beam iner lamps, or switch the lights to full beam, they are stuck there. I switch back to low beam, and the lights stay on high. I did some experimenting, and when the engine is not running, they switch back to low beam after about a second, but when the engine is running, they stay on high forever until I turn the headlights off, and then turn them on to low beam again.

I have been told by an auto electrician that this is likely a problem with the relay sticking. But they wouldn't sell me one, they insisted that I would have to book in and get them to do the work, beause there are so many different kins of relays they wouldn't know what kind it was until they had a good look (i.e. $$$). Recently I have had the dashboard off to replace one of the winscreen washer jets. Is it possible I dislodged some then?

Is anyone able to tell me where the relay is, an what it looks like?

Cheers

Glenn Peoples

Reply to
Glenn Peoples

Relays can stick, but its not a very common problem. I would guess that its more likely that you've lost a ground somewhere, and you have BOTH hi and low beam on. I don't know about the Delicia specifically, but late 80's / early 90's Mitsubishi have a main relay box near the battery, with various relays and fuses under a removable cover. . The outside is generally marked with the relay/fuse identities. You should be able to detect the relay that switches HB by sound and feel. Check all the grounds you can see around the relay box. eg if a ground is attatched with an M6 bolt, loosen the bolt and retighten it.

Removing the dash is most likely unrelated.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Thanks for that. Well, I can se a small black box just above the battery (under the passenger seat), which is connected to the positive battery terminal. On top it has four boxes: ignition, lights, lokcin, and one I don;t recall right now. I gather that's what you're talking about? Unfortunately it appears to be a sealed enclosure, the top doesn't open as far as I can tell. I wouldn't know how to recognise "the grounds" around the box.

I think I'm going to have to take it to someone who knows what they're doing..... I can hear the cash register now!

Reply to
Glenn Peoples

Right, I took it in to an auto electrician today and got it fixed. The relay was faulty. I don't know enough to know exactly where the relay goes or what sort I would need to get, so I just grinned and bore it. Didn't cost too much, fortunately.

Reply to
Glenn Peoples