Distributor or ECU Bad?

Greetings,

I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Mirage with the ECI 1.5 engine. I rebuilt this engine at 217K and it now has 275K on the odometer! Anyway, the car stalled on the way to work so had it towed home. In the past I had a timing belt loose some teeth and slip timing; so one of the things I checked was the belt which was OK. I replaced it anyway while I had everything apart. In the process the timing marks got a bit misaligned but no apparent valve damage as all cylinder compression tested at or above 150; all with 5 psi of each other.

I also checked for spark and found none. A mechanic told me two things that he sees frequently go out in Mitsubishi's; distributors and ECUs. Since the pickup coil is inside the distributor (could not check)I ordered a new distributor from Distributor King for $200. I put the new distributor on and was able to start the car. However, the engine is now running rough (bucks at idle - misses at any other rpm). I double checked the timing and the continuity on the plug wires, which are almost new and good quality. I'm not certain I had my analyzer set on the correct Ohm setting, but I checked it on a copper wire and got a zero reading, then checked each wire measuring at 5 each.

I set up my induction timing light and got a good pulse on #1 and #2. The firing order is 1-3-4-2. I have the proper plugs at the dist starting with #1 at the 9:00 position, then #3 etc. triple checked) However, #3 and #4 have intermittent flashes leading me to believe the distributor I purchased has a bad pickup coil.

I understand the ECU will just flat out fail but I need to check it to be sure, but I don't know how to do this. How do I check this for error code?

Long story, can anyone verify my methods or suggest what else I can test before I try to return the distributor?

Thanks

Reply to
Flatlander

I can't speak for your particular model. However, Mitsus have typically used a wasted spark system in the past. One and two seem to be firing correctly, but three and four aren't. Since I'm betting those are on the same bank, I'd say you have a valid argument. BUT, what about the CAM/Crank angle sensor?

Just for further verification, check the cam angle sensor. It almost sounds like you have the sensor 180 off. You seem to be technically savvy enough..definitely not a woman. Of course, someone else may have a better idea....

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

I don't know about techical savvy as I found the problem and it was my screwup. The distributor and ECU are fine. I had the plug wires installed correctly if the engine ran backwards! Oh what the hay, I learned that the thing has a CAM/Crank angle sensor.

And... How many of you out there have 275K on ANY car? Detroit said these 4 bangers wouldn't last.

Flatlander

Reply to
Flatlander

Had 264K on my '92 LeBaron with Chrysler-designed, Chrysler-built 2.5 litre 4-banger, when I sold it. It is still currently registered and in daily use.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern