E-101 Knock Unit - New Or Repaired?

I bought a new E-101 knock control unit from Leo at Australia EFI for my Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo (AA model).

The unit is marked as: MD097598 R 6X08 E2T16573

However, I'm not sure whether it's new (ie. if it left Mitsubishi in it's current state) or whether it's a locally repaired unit. Because, it has a white letter R stamped on it just above the E-101. And it's got a bead of really hard black "sealant" around the edge on the top surface, as though the top surface has been cut off at some stage and then put back in place using this very hard sealant.

The aluminium on the back surface is quite scratched. But the black part of the case is in good shape (like new apart from the sealant). The bolt holes don't show any nut marks on them.

Have Mitsubishi been repairing their units prior to sale?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

John

Reply to
John

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:20:47 +1000, "John" scribbled:

Why not ask them? Hardly any of us have access, or knowledge about a Cordia.

I own an '86 Cordia GSR 1800cc ECI turbo here in NZ. It's not quite like your AC model, here in NZ we don't have the AA, AB, AC etc. We have either the 1600cc carby turbo, or the 1800cc efi turbo. The

1800cc ECI turbo here has the larger brake rotors from the TN Magna like your AC model did, along with the 14" alloy wheels. However our engine is still that of your AB spec, producing 110kW and running 8.4psi of boost.

If I recall correctly, my knock control unit just has lots of dust on it, nothing else, so I'd say yours has been repaired.

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't want to offend them by asking. I was hoping someone might post saying that they have bought a new one and it also had the black sealant.

Regards

John

Reply to
John

I rang and asked Leo. He assured me it's brand new, and that all the later E-101's have this black sealant around the edges on the top surface.

Reply to
John