Eclipse FWD Turbo Pops out of 5th

When cruising on the highway my Eclipse will pop out of 5th. Otherwise it shifts smoothly and all other gears work fine. Checked the linkage and it is properly adjusted. The car has 106,000 miles on it. What is likely to need replacement in the transaxle? Since it shifts good could it be the shifter fork only? How well do the thrust washers hold up in these transaxles?

TIA Gyz

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Did you check the motor mounts?

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Assuming its not just a mount block, it may be the following.

Fifth gear parts are held on with a big nut with a locking tab. This nut can sometimes work loose, and start to grind its way out of the transmission end cover. The symptom is a partial loss of or slow synchro on the 4-5 change. ie it may crunch on the change unless you do it slowly and carefully.

Good news is the end cover can be removed and the nut tightened and relocked with the trans in the car. If your trans has been crunching, you''ll need to replace the synchro ring and possibly the synchro cone as well.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Motor mounts seem fine.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

It shifts fine, no crunching in any gear. It seems to stay in 5th longer if I pop it in quickly. Does not crunch when I do this.

TIA! Gyz

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Reply to
simpleton

"" wrote: > When cruising on the highway my Eclipse will pop out of 5th. > Otherwise it > shifts smoothly and all other gears work fine. Checked the > linkage and it is > properly adjusted. The car has 106,000 miles on it. What is > likely to need > replacement in the transaxle? Since it shifts good could it be > the shifter > fork only? How well do the thrust washers hold up in these > transaxles? > > TIA > Gyz

dude its in your transmission. Its the synchronizers, if you let it go on it will only get worse. The other gears will start doing it. If you have to hold down the shifter to keep it in 5th, then thats what it is. My 98 eclipse done the same thing. I let mine go on and it also happened in 2nd and 3rd.

Reply to
bfox2220