Eclipse High Beams Suddenly not Working

I just replaced my alternator, and noticed that my high beams suddenly don't work. Could this be a fuse? Both bulbs blown at the same time? The switch works, because when I pull the stalk the fog lights go out as they would with the high beams working. If one bulb is bad, can this cause both high beams to stop working? Prior to the alternator replacement, the car was overcharging badly. Could this have caused the high beam problem?

Reply to
Gary

Check the wiring first! I had trouble with my high beams and wiggled the connector and they suddenly came on. Went for weeks and it happened again. Sometimes it would be one headlight other times both. Wiggleing one connector would on occasion cause BOTH bulbs to come on or go off. I wrote it off as corrosion in the connections. It got progressively worse over time until I finally took the time to carefully examine the connector. It was severly melted and charred! (No, I did not have aftermarket bulbs in place. Totally stock.) The issue was the wires were loose in the brass crimp connectors and the inner part of the brass was blackened.

I took them apart, cleaned them up, soldered the wire to the brass connector, and glued the brass connector in to the melted plastic body. Now everything works fine. Of course I will need to completely replace the connectors at some point.

Gary

"Gary" wrote:

Reply to
gshell

Thank you for the info. I actually pulled the bulbs to find that they were both blown. The alternator overcharging had apparently blown both bulbs together.

Reply to
Gary