Engine and Trans

Does any body know where I could get an engine and a transmission for my 94 Eclipse? The engine went out and so did the transmission. I have the 1.8 L engine. I wanna get the 2.0 L non turbo engine though.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

Better get an ECU while you there and make sure you get a complete engine. You can't just swap a block or head and expect to have a turbo'd car. It'd be cheaper just to buy a used 94 AWD than what you're thinking.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

You'll have to change the mounts and ECU. Lurk in the forums

also check ebay.

Reply to
simpleton

I know that won't make a turbo'd car. I don't want a turbo.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

I know that won't make a turbo'd car. I don't want a turbo.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

I know that won't make a turbo'd car. I don't want a turbo.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

I assume you have an automatic transmission, as the manuals are pretty understressed and rarely give up completely.

Your problem is that you have a 94, and this really means doing a recon job on everything. You can get a 92 -94 4G63 DOHC non turbo for next to nothing from a wrecker (perhaps $200 complete as is, hell, you could buy a complete junk parts 94 for $200). A recon is about $1400 with around half that for a head rebuild job. You need some different engine mounts (from a donor car), ECU and air filter hardware. There are some wiring harness differences between the 1.8 and 2.0 models: nothing major, but they have to be handled. You need a new exhaust system for the 2.0.

The biggest expense is a transmission, assuming automatic. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent 94, and a rebuilt unit is expensive. If you have a manual, any 92-94 F5M22 from a a 1.8 or 2.0 Eclipse / Talon will do. You could pop the end case off to check for any damage or worn 5th synchro, but it would likely be OK.

You'd have to replace other stuff too while the engine bay is empty eg radiator if its corroded. You'd put in a new clutch and pressure plate, or torque converter.

Its a lot of labour if you do it yourself, and pretty expensive if you pay someone to do it. The whole job could easily cost $4000. For that sort of money you could buy a decent running 98 something. Do the math, unless the

94 body is in really good, straight, rust free shape.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Its a manual transmission and it looks the clutch fly wheel broke the case of the trans. The body and interior are really good and it had a new distributor, alternator and starter put into it before it killed over on me. I have a shop out back of my house so this is a project that I will just have to take some time on.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

OK, the best approach is to go to a local wrecker and get a deal on a complete 92-94 2.0 DOHC engine + transmission + ECU and assorted air cleaner bits. If you can hear it running, all the better, but its unlikely. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for the set. Note that this engine has the roll stopper mounts on the block, and not on the trans. 95 up has mounts on the trans, and possibly not on the block. You can use a 95+ trans on the 92-94.

Check the height of the head on the donor engine. If its been machined already it may not be possible to do it again.

You might also consider looking for a complete donor car. I've done a deal with a local wrecker who picked the car up, took the engine out, delivered it and kept the rest.

Look on Ebay for a 92-94 workshop manual: you'll need this for the wiring changes.

You'll find more info of interest on my website.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

How long would you say this would take? Time really isn't a problem for me. I just am still deciding if I just wanna send it to junk yard and just keep some of the new parts and sell them.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

OK, here's a rough estimate, assuming you have the necessary tools, an engine crane, an engine stand and a cleaning tub. Its not that difficult a job, as the car is designed to accept the 4G63. Putting a 4G63 into my 93 Eagle Summit coupe was a much bigger job, as I had to modify and/or fabricate various brackets and assemblies.

Its always a good idea to clean, derust and paint EVERYTHING you can when the engine is out. Aside from looking better when the job is done, its easier to work with clean components.

  1. Disconnecting the front suspension, axles and hubs, getting the old engine and trans out, about 4 hours
  2. Disassembling the replacement 4G63 DOHC, mounting the 4G63 on a stand, cleaning the replacement F5M22 trans, perhaps 4 hours.
  3. Cleaning and reassembling the 4G63 with rebuilt head (have a machine shop do this for you), new rings, bearings and assorted seals, 6-12 hours
  4. Cleaning up the engine bay, replacing all rusted clips, bolts, perhaps a bit of paint here and there. This could include repainting the air cleaner can and other bits that are easier to do when off the car. Typically 20-30 hours. All the little details mount up.
  5. Identifying and making the wiring changes for the 4G63 vs the old 4G37. About 12 hours. Most of the difference appears to be in the engine sensors. I'm not sure (but can find out in my workshop manual) if the rest of the wiring harness is the same.
  6. Attatching the trans to the 4G63, with a new clutch, 1 hour
  7. Installing the new engine and trans into the engine bay, hooking up the axles, hubs and suspension. 6 hours. Getting it back in always takes longer.
  8. Discovering and correcting all the little details you missed (and there will be some), another 6-12 hours.
  9. Installation of the new exhaust system. 2-4 hours.

What this really comes down is doing a major refit of the car, with the intent of keeping it for another 3-5 years. Its what I did with my 93 Summit: I now have a really nice little car with exceptional performance if i want it, for a fraction of the cost of a new a similar spec new vehicle.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

That doesn't sound too bad. I might have found the 1.8 Liter engine from another guy and might just go with that just for a little quicker fix. I just want to get this car up and going again. The body and interior is very nice still.

Reply to
PMontalvo6

Might want to contact this ebay seller. I was going to buy this but just fixed mine instead.

scrapir

That doesn't look too bad I just don't want to pay more for shipping than the engine will cost.

Reply to
PMontalvo6