EXHAUST BRACKET

- '91 talon tsi

Does anyone know where I can get a universal bracket for my front pipe? It's the bracket that wraps around the neck of the pipe just below the flange and attaches to the front of the engine block. I've checked a couple of auto parts stores and had no luck and it's not a dealer item since that pipe comes with a bracket that's already welded on to it. Also, do they make metal exhaust gaskets? I keep blowing out the gasket that sandwiches in between the front pipe and the turbo housing (no doubt because I don't have the proper bracket but rather a makeshift one supporting that pipe ). If I could get a proper bracket for the pipe I'd like to go with a metal gasket instead of a cardboard composite type as the exhaust gasses at that spot should be quite hot because of the turbo.

BTW, I just had a 21/2" front pipe fabricated and am VERY HAPPY with the gain in power (2" stock) and it cost me less than 1/2 the price of the dealer part! The only problem is that bracket as the shop that built it didn't have a universal one and just reconnected the home made one I had rigged up.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

greg, do you have a flex section in the new downpipe? the bracket you mention is often ommitted. i had a 3" dave buschur turbo-back system on my '91 and way back then he still included the tab to attach to the block but later deleted it. he had the tab but no flex section and the stress would crack the weld on the tab. the flex section you need, the tab to attach to the block, you do not. the rotten, old and torn motor mounts on your '91 are causing your downpipe to wag like a dog's tail as you go through the gears........this is probably what's killing your gasket

simpleton